Baseball: Early adversity no problem for Lobos in 9-5 win over Missouri State

The Lobos proved again that they are unfazed by adversity, pulling out another home win on Friday night.

After falling down four runs to none after two and a half innings, the Lobos (20-13-1) slowly but surely picked up its pace. UNM scored nine runs over the next six and a half innings – while holding the Bears to 0 runs – to win its second game over Missouri State, 9-4, at Santa Ana Star Field.

Lobos’ starting pitcher Tyler Stevens probably didn’t get the start he had hoped for in the game, giving up two runs on three hits in the first inning – one of those a two-run shot to center field – to put the Bears (21-13) up 2-0.

UNM couldn't make much of anything on offense, grabbing only one hit in the first two innings while failing to score any runs.

The Bears produced two more runs in the top of the third inning to grab a 4-0 lead, but UNM quickly responded in the bottom of the frame.

Lobo designated hitter Danny Collier led off the third for the Lobos at the plate and found his way on base with an infield single. In the ensuing at-bat, outfielder Jared Mang put the Lobos on the scoreboard for the first time, registering an RBI double to score Collier.

That wasn't all the Lobos had in the arsenal for the inning as Mang also reached home plate on an RBI groundout by third baseman Carl Stajduhar. That cut the lead in half, making the score 4-2 in favor of the Bears.

The run support seemed to allow Stevens to pick up his pitching performance in the fourth and fifth inning, as he held the Bears scoreless.

UNM tacked on another run in the fourth inning on a Collier RBI single that scored infielder Hayden Schilling. But it was the fifth inning that saw the Lobos wreak havoc on offense on the way to grabbing their first lead of the game.

Two RBI singles – one from Schilling and another from Beau Capanna – and a wild pitch allowed the Lobos to score three runs to take a 6-4 lead.

The Lobos continued to manufacture runs, scoring two more in the sixth inning and another in the eighth to pull away and take a commanding 9-4 lead.

Closing pitcher Christian Tripp sealed the deal in the top of the ninth inning for the Lobos, though he allowed two hits and a run in the inning. But the Bears never mounted a serious threat as the New Mexico took the game, 9-5.

It was the second win in as many games, with guaranteed a series-win over Missouri State.

Of the Lobos’ 10 team hits, several players pitched in with a multi-hit performance. Mang paced UNM by going 2-for-5 at the plate with two runs and two RBI’s. Schilling went 2-for-3 with two runs and one RBI, and Collier went 2-for-5 with one run and one RBI.

Head coach Ray Birmingham seemed congratulatory of Mang and Schilling’s abilities at the plate, though the team’s pitching wasn't necessarily up to par.

“He’s really fun to watch right now,” Birmingham said of Mang in a release. “He’s starting to scratch the surface of his talent. Hayden Schilling is also doing a great job for us. … Even though we weren’t real sharp pitching it tonight, we’re still playing better overall than we have been. We still have things to improve, but we’re playing better.”

Stevens was awarded the win on the mound for UNM, putting his season record at 5-3. As part of his efforts, Stevens allowed seven hits and four runs in 5.1 innings, though he managed to strike out a team-high six batters.

The teams will square off again in the final game of the series on Saturday at noon. The game can be heard live on ESPN Radio, 101.7 The TEAM.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.