News in Brief: UNM highlights success in research

According to a UNM press release, the Spring 2017 Shared Knowledge Conference will provide students an opportunity to learn about the depth of research work being done at UNM.

The conference, organized by Graduate Studies, will be held on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in SUB Ballroom C, according to the release, providing the campus community with a look into the diversity of programs while recognizing research excellence.

According to the release, this year organizers broadened the event to include two separate types of showcases.

One event, “LoboBITES,” involves a competition where graduate students will present their thesis in just three minutes, according to the release. They will be scored by a panel of non-academic judges, including members of the local media. Winners can receive up to $1,000.

The second event will be alternating with the LoboBITES competition and will have students selected by their graduate program displaying research posters.

This will involve graduate students from all graduate programs and undergraduates from selected programs, according to the release, and presenters will be nominated by their academic departments.

The conference is sponsored by Graduate Studies, the Office of the Vice President for Research and the Honors College.

While It’s free to attend and open to the UNM community and the general public, presenters must be UNM students.

Matthew Reisen is the news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MReisen88.