Local MC's album release party will feature live painting, fat beats

Local hip-hop artist and MC Def-I will premiere his newest project “Arrow•Rhymanics” in a special CD release party at the Launchpad on Saturday, April 8.

A unique blend of live music and art, Def-I’s CD release will be a 21+ event that features many of Albuquerque’s newest and hottest MC’s, producers, and artists.

“This is my fourth solo independent album, but it has various features and production from across the country. The name of the album is ‘Arrow•Rhymanics’ and it came about as my follow up to the last album, titled ‘Shields for Raining Arrows.’” Def-I said. “I have many influences from all over, but my favorite MC and producer who highly influenced this album is Evidence of Dilated Peoples. I’ve been a fan of his and friend over the years.”

The album title “Arrow•Rhymanics” refers to the flow an MC gets into during rhyming. The album name is a flip of the word “aerodynamics,” which by definition refers to the study of the properties of moving air, and especially of the interaction between the air and solid bodies moving through it, Def-I said.

“As an MC is flowing, he or she is sending sound through air and I’ve always had an open ear to each one’s flow patterns and lyrics,” Def-I said. “The name of the album came about from years of developing my flow and hearing others. I’ll perform at least five songs off the new project live at the album release party.”

The release party will be especially unique, as it features a variety of visual artists doing live painting and displaying their work throughout the performance. There will be live performances from Raashan Ahmad, Soul Soup, Joe BZ, Truth 66, Dirt Villins, and Def-I.

The release will also feature live art by Randy B, Cloudface, & Jay Smiley.

“Expect dope performances with MCs performing over live beats and canvases being painted live during the event,” Def-I said. “I tend to rap fast and hope listeners can keep up and hear the lyrics and wordplay.”

Doors open at 9:00 p.m. with Def-I and company providing live music all the way until last call at 1:00 a.m. General admission tickets are $5 presale online at www.holdmyticket.com, and tickets will be $10 at the door.

Troy Amato is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Troy_Amato.