Letter: Transwoman on Campus Attacked — Anti-Trans Violence on UNM Campus Must Stop

On Wednesday, April 19, something happened on campus that should sound the alarm: A transwoman who is a student at UNM was violently assaulted on campus by three fringe activists in a shocking display of bigoted thuggery.

Many witnesses have confirmed this heinous act. There is no excuse for this bigoted act of thuggery against a transgendered student and activist, no matter what their political views might be.

That evening, while students rallied and survivors bravely held a vigil against sexual assault and rape culture on campus, three well-known lone activists — with no following — shouted at her for her political affiliation with the Students for Socialism—UNM club (SFS), a chartered student organization that holds regular meetings on campus.

What is clear is that the bullies thought they could get away with it, because their target is a transwoman. Students for Socialism—UNM is affiliated with the Party for Socialism and Liberation (PSL).

Earlier that day, SFS organized a student march to the Acting President’s office to oppose extending invitations to two racist and sexist alt-right speakers. Ben Shapiro, a former editor for Breitbart News has referred to the trans community as being mentally ill. The other alt-right speaker is Christina Hoff Sommers, who openly denies rape culture and routinely blames victims for sexual assault. Later, after the march, an evening event was planned by various groups to hold vigil for sexual assault survivors. The program highlighted changes and initiatives the University has put in place after the devastating DOJ report on sexual assault on UNM’s campus.

For the University administration to have promised so much positive change on campus and then to have that change marred by pending invitations to hate speakers and rape deniers is a real head-scratcher.

What is UNM thinking?

Why embolden predators walking around our campus? Why did three violent people attack a transwoman for her political beliefs and affiliations?The trans student had requested and was granted permission to hand out flyers for an upcoming event related to boycotting Ben Shapiro and Christina Hoff Sommers. The bullies grabbed her flyers out of her hand, proceeded to push her, spit at her and hurl insults at her and the campus-based political group she is working with. This bigoted attack happened at a survivor’s vigil — a gathering where everyone was meant to feel safe. It happened in the daylight and while campus security was nearby. The attackers did not feel deterred in any way. Rather, they felt safe to go on the attack.

What better proof is there that the culture of violence, rape and hate is alive and well on UNM’s campus? A local trans activist was attacked simply for her politics and for being trans. Who will be next?

Will we stand by while random and violent people go on the attack against women, LGTBQ people, students of color or anyone targeted by hate and bigotry?

Let’s all stand together in unity against attacks such as what happened to our fellow student. Please join us in appealing to UNM Acting President Abdallah to use his power and influence to prevent alt-right hatemongers from using the University as a platform to further embolden violent, immature and misguided people.

Students for Socialism-UNM