Senior Carl Stajduhar tags out a New Mexico State Aggie Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos lost to the Aggies 12-5. 

Baseball: Lobos lose final regular season matchup 12-5 to the Aggies

The University of New Mexico baseball team gave up the regular season finale against New Mexico State on Tuesday evening, losing at Santa Ana Star Field, 12-5.

Ultimately what gave way for the Aggies’ (27-19) first win over the Lobos (26-19-1) was a huge fourth inning, which saw the visiting team score a whopping nine runs in the frame. Stellar pitching, too, was key in its win. Starting pitcher for the Aggies, Andy Frakes went a career-high 8.1 innings against the Lobos, giving up five runs on seven hits and striking out three.

Meanwhile, Lobo starting pitcher James Harrington exited after just 3.1 innings on the mound, as he gave up seven runs on seven hits. Harrington picked up the loss, too, putting him at 1-3 on the season.

“First give their starter (Frakes) credit — he located well on both sides of the plate today,” UNM head coach Ray Birmingham said in a press release. “We just couldn't command it. We were down 2-0 in the count a lot on the mound, and they made us pay. We can't expect to score 10 runs every game. We have to be able to win low scoring games too.”

The Lobos only had one multiple run inning — the second — which saw them score three runs in the frame. It was also the only lead UNM maintained in the game.

As a team, UNM managed to tally eight hits as a team. No Lobo player had more than one hit, which saw eight individuals muster one hit apiece. Of those eight Lobos who had a hit, though, Beau Capanna paced the home team with a 1-for-2 showing at the plate — a triple — while also adding two RBI and a run.

New Mexico State jumped out on top first, scoring a run in the opening frame on a solo homer to right field, which put the Aggies up 1-0 early on.

The Lobos, however, couldn't score in the opening frame, but quickly answered with a multiple run inning in the second. The inning started off with Carl Stajduhar fly out to left field. But an ensuing walk, that saw Hayden Schilling get on base and an Andrew Pratt single to the pitcher, was the perfect leverage for a scoring run — and it was. Capanna, with runners on first and second, blasted a two RBI triple to left center, and Andre Gregory followed with an RBI groundout, to give the Lobos a 3-1 lead.

The Aggies threatened in the second, but starting pitcher James Harrington managed to pitch his way out of the inning, even with runners on second and third.

But the fourth inning was a total disaster for the home team and a scoring parade for the Aggies. New Mexico State put up nine runs in the frame, but was ultimately highlighted by a two-out grand slam, giving the visiting team a 10-3 lead.

The Lobos added a run in the fifth and a run in the ninth, while New Mexico State also tallied two runs — with one in seventh and one in the eighth, respectively. And it wasn't enough either; the Lobos only tallied one hit through the sixth, seventh and eighth innings. The Aggies went on to win and picked up its first win over the Lobos, 12-5.

UNM will pick up play again on Friday, May 5 in a three-game series at home against Air Force — a team that the Lobos have swept once earlier in the season. The series opener between UNM and Air Force is set for 6:30 p.m.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.