Grad Issue: First-generation graduate thanks support system, looks to bright future

Life has a way of changing things, just ask Ayham Maadi.

A dual-degree student in chemical engineering and foreign languages with a minor in math, Maadi said he started his education at UNM undecided on where his career path would lead him, but it certainly wasn’t in the direction of engineering.

Given his foreign language experience, Maadi said he realized that whatever his future held, he would be supplemented with a degree in foreign languages.

Despite his initial intentions, his path shifted toward chemical engineering.

And he was excited to take on the challenge.

“I've always had a vision of where I wanted to be: at the intersection of industry and policy because those are the things I'm passionate about with the understanding and through the lens of research developmental science,” Maadi said.

He is extremely open-minded about the road ahead.

During his time with UNM, he served as an ASUNM senator and a member of the finance and outreach committees.

“I had a great time with that being able to represent students, being able to be on the undergraduate government legislation side of things,” Maadi said.

In addition to serving with ASUNM, Maadi also headed a UNM-based engineering honors society and assisted with the Hispanics in Engineering & Science Organization while attending the University.

Maadi said he has recently landed an internship with Sandia National Laboratories.

“I still didn’t give up, I guess that’s the theme,” he said. “A good theme is perseverance, because that’s definitely a tip I would give to any student. I would say (to) persevere, because opportunities come to those who don’t just wait for it but continuously try for it.”

Maadi will attend graduate school in Philadelphia this fall.

As a first-generation, American-born graduate and son of two immigrants, Maadi expressed appreciation for all of his family’s help.

“They sacrificed a lot for me to be here, so they know what hardship is,” Maadi said.

Having his parents there to tell him to do his best and not to lose sleep over what he can’t really control helped him alot, as sometimes he needed to be reminded of that, he said.

“Every student, every human being has something unique to contribute to the world, that’s something I truly believe,” Maadi said.

Although he is attending an out-of-state graduate school, Maadi said he would still like to find a way to contribute to New Mexico in his chosen field.

“There’s an importance in leaving, and getting a variety of experience and taking the wealth of that and then contributing that back to the state, and that’s something I’m definitely looking forward to,” Maadi said. “So, I do see a value in leaving and getting jobs elsewhere and having something to say when you get back.”

Nichole Harwood is a reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Nolidoli1.