Letter: Inadequate Campus Security

One of my favorite things about living on campus is paying a parking permit fee that is approaching extortion just so I can have my car within a half mile of the dorm. What's even better is seeing that my window got smashed out and my glove box ripped open, despite being parked not even eighty feet from the security shack that is occupied all night.

While I can appreciate the studious nature of the student employees who man the shack every night, I'm not too pleased that their negligence is coming out of my pocket. UNM needs to patrol campus far better than they're doing. Additionally, students who work for Residence Life security need to be earning their pay. If Residence Life security can't handle the task, then UNM must make the University PD pick up the slack.

There is absolutely zero reason that transients from around town should be able to continually roam about campus raising hell. This is especially startling now that the University will be requiring all freshmen to live on campus. It's not exactly comforting for parents or new students to know that the mandatory living arrangements at UNM don't address the issues of property damage, assault, or the whole litany of LoboAlerts that have been sent out.

Tom Stivers

Daily Lobo Reader