Recent UNM grad begins mayoral campaign with community event

After walking across the graduation stage at UNM just weeks ago, Gus Pedrotty is now making a bid for the Mayor’s office.

On Sunday afternoon Pedrotty hosted an event to thank his volunteers and reengage with the community.

A chemistry and psychology grad, Pedrotty and his team secured a spot on the ballot with 3,000 signed petitions while the semester was coming to a close. Now that his campaign has accomplished their first goal, it’s on to the next phase.

“There’s more work to be done,” he said.

Pedrotty faces several established Albuquerque politicians in the October election: current State Auditor Tim Keller; former Chairman of the New Mexico Democratic Party Brian Colon; former Attorney General’s Chief of Staff Michelle Garcia Holmes; and City Councillor Dan Lewis.

Also running are Albuquerque businessman Ricardo Chaves and Susan Wheeler-Deichsel — a community activist.

“I had to go after this office and it had to be now,” Pedrotty said, adding the changes he wants to see in the city must come from the top down.

“Maybe this is what real change looks like,” Pedrotty said, nodding to the humble — but respectable — Sunday afternoon turnout.

The election will be held on Oct. 3., and Incumbent Mayor Richard Berry will not seek reelection in the fall.

Brendon Gray is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @notgraybrendon.