Men's Basketball: Lobos lose member of coaching staff to Western Kentucky

Marc Hsu, who came along for the ride to assist new Lobo Men’s Basketball Head Coach Paul Weir, is back on the road again.

Hsu has left the program to continue his coaching career at Western Kentucky University, where he will take on the role of assistant coach.

Before Hsu followed Weir to the University of New Mexico men’s basketball program, he made stops as an assistant coach at Barton County Community College (2005-06), Laurinburg Prep (2006-07), Chipola Junior College (2007), Oregon State (2007-08), Binghamton (2008-10), Texas Southern (2010-12), CSU Bakersfield (2013-16) and New Mexico State (2016-17).

The 36-year-old’s primary job for the Lobos was recruiting coordinator. He played a role in the signing of the five recruits who are now part of the UNM men’s program.

According to the Albuquerque Journal’s Geoff Grammer, who filed for and was provided an Inspection of Public Records Act request on Wednesday morning, Hsu was slated to earn $150,000 in a contract he signed in early May.

Grammer also reported that there is no buyout between UNM and assistant, though Hsu will be responsible for repaying any moving expenses he received when he came to the University.

The departure may come as a blow to Weir, who has been on the job for a little more than three months. Recruiting is such a critical piece of the puzzle in college basketball, and it is likely he wanted to have his coaching staff solidified at this point.

With the subtraction of a key member of the coaching staff, Weir is down just to two assistants: Coach Jerome Robinson and Associate Head Coach Chris Harriman.

Though Hsu is leaving to follow another opportunity, Weir said he was very appreciative of the time he spent with Hsu and the work he accomplished during his short stint at New Mexico.

“Marc did a tremendous job recruiting for us in his short time here,” Weir said in an email to the Daily Lobo. “I will always be thankful to him for his contributions and wish him incredibly well in his future.”

As for who the 38-year-old head coach will hire next, Weir said there is a list of candidates he will be considering, though he did not give any specifics.

“We have several prospects I have been courting, and who have been courting me, over the past few weeks since this opportunity with Marc (Hsu) presented itself,” Weir said. “I am confident that we will find a talented replacement that will enhance our program even further.”

UNM still has three open scholarships left for next season.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@matt_narvaiz.