Forward Gwen Maly holds her position during the Lobos game against Ft. Lewis on August 17, 2015. The women's soccer team has held a collective 3.4 GPA or higher throughout 14 consecutive years.

Women’s Soccer: Lobos set academic program record, 2017 schedule announced

If any team has demonstrated the ability to balance both academics and athletics, it has been UNM women’s soccer.

The latest semester marked the fourteenth consecutive semester in which Lobo women’s soccer maintained a collective 3.4 GPA or higher.

Additionally, the team set a program record in the 2017 spring semester by achieving a 3.77 GPA. While several student-athletes outperformed that benchmark, all 27 scored higher than the 3.5 plateau.

But showing discipline in the classroom isn’t a new phenomenon for the team. The Lobos have never failed to score at least a 3.00 GPA since the program’s inception in 1993. Over the 25-year history of the program, the team has achieved a combined 3.37 GPA.

“Our number-one goal for our players is for them to leave UNM with a degree and experience that allows them to succeed,” UNM head coach Heather Dyche said in a release. “The student-athletes on this team work incredibly hard on the field and in the classroom, and a 3.77 team GPA is something we are all really proud of.”

The Lobos have demonstrated success on the field as well, and for the last nine seasons have had a winning percentage over .500 in Mountain West Conference play.

The Lobos will hope to continue the tradition of success both on and off the field in the 2017 fall season. In the 2016 season, the Lobos played 13 games away from home and only six at the UNM Soccer Complex.

As anticipated, UNM will have more home games in the 2017 fall season than in the previous season. In addition to the tentatively scheduled home exhibition match in early August, the Lobos will play ten games at home and will be on the road for nine games.

The Lobos will begin the 2017 campaign on Aug. 18 at home against the University of San Francisco — the first of UNM’s two games in the Lobo Invitational — and will end Mountain West Conference play at home on Oct. 27 against San Diego State University.

UNM narrowly missed out on the Mountain West Conference Tournament during the 2016 season; something it will likely be looking to remedy in 2017. The 2017 Conference Tournament will begin on Oct. 31 and run through Nov. 4.

In the upcoming 2017 regular season campaign, the Lobos will play against a number of teams that did not feature last season, including Boise State, Portland and Washington.

In addition, the Rio Grande Rivalry, instead of being played in Albuquerque, will be hosted by the Aggies in Las Cruces and will take place early into the season — on Aug. 25, only five days after the Lobo Invitational.

With more home games and a team full of talent, the Lobos should be excited by the opportunities the 2017 season will likely have in store.

Matthieu Cartron is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women’s soccer and men’s tennis. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@cartron_matt.