ASUNM provides variety of events geared at UNM community

Editor's Note: The original version of this article indicated the pep rally will be held at the Duck Pond. That is incorrect — the rally will be held at the SUB Atrium. The article has been corrected. The Daily Lobo apologizes for any confusion.

It’s Homecoming Week at the University of New Mexico, and the Associated Students of UNM are organizing a slew of on-campus events through their subgroup UNM Lobo Spirit.

3-D chalk artist Chris Carlson will be working on a large chalk art piece at the Duck Pond under the Alumni Clock on Monday and Tuesday.

On Sept. 26, Lobo Spirit and the Student Activities Center will be hosting a Neon Skate Down event from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. in Student Union Building Ballroom B/C. DJ music and refreshments will be available. Students, staff and faculty will be able to rent skates with their UNM ID.

Homecoming elections will be held on Sept. 27, and students will choose their Homecoming king and queen. ASUNM Lobo Spirit and the Election Commissions will host the event.

“The candidates are actively campaigning, trying to get the voters to come and vote,” said Kaylie Huizenga, Lobo Spirit executive director.

Students can vote online at my.unm.edu or at the SUB, near the welcome desk. The results will be announced at halftime during the Homecoming football game vs. Air Force on Saturday, Sept. 30.

Also on Sept. 27, Lobo Spirit will be hosting a karaoke event in the SUB Atrium. Lobo Spirit is looking for volunteers to help distribute fliers and motivate people to take part in the event.

On Sept. 28 UNM will host a free movie night, featuring a “Hercules” screening in the SUB Theater at 7 p.m.

Sept. 29 will kick off the Homecoming weekend with an all-sports pep rally at the SUB Atrium.

UNM sports representatives will be present to talk to the students about their season and to ask for support. After the event, the top three candidates in each category of Homecoming Court will be announced.

The most awaited event of Homecoming Week 2017, Party in the Pit, will start at 8 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 29 and run until 11 p.m. at Dreamstyle Arena. See our full story about the event for details.

Ashish Khatri is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.