Last October, UNM entered into an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice with the goal of improving sexual misconduct policies on campus. Through this agreement, the Grey Area training was born.

Sex and Relationships Issue: Grey Area training aims to educate students on sexual assault

Last October, the University of New Mexico entered into an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice with the goal of improving sexual misconduct policies on campus. Through this agreement, the Grey Area training was born.

The mandatory training will continue to teach UNM students about sexual abuse and misconduct through December 2017.

“It’s also about a change in culture, not only at UNM, but in the community,” said Cole Carvour, the LoboRESPECT training and development specialist.

Carvour played a large role in creating the newest version of the training, along with other UNM faculty members. He also helps to facilitate the trainings.

Matt Gerber, a first year student who took the training last summer, said the it was helpful and felt the information covered had a lot of importance.

The Grey Area covers topics such as consent, sexual harassment, relationships, Title IX and more.

“This is a first stop, in some cases a one stop, for students to understand what directions they need to go, where to ask for help and where to get resources,” Carvour said.

The LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center, along with the Women’s Resource Center, the LGBTQ Resource Center, SHAC and others can be used as confidential and anonymous resources for someone in need of support concerning sexual assault.

“I feel like the main purpose is to create some type of dialogue around campus, to get people talking about the issues,” said David Linville, who is new to the UNM graduate student program.

Linville has not yet taken the training but said he will in the upcoming week. He said at this point, he expects it to be a formality.

“We’ve had some really positive and, in some ways, unexpected responses,” said Lisa Lindquist, the director of LoboRESPECT. “People have said, ‘ Wow! That was so much better than I thought it was going to be. It was a good use of my time.’”

Linquist said the advocacy center is an advocate for students. Its main focus is sexual misconduct, assault and violence, but the center can also help students with any crisis.

Anyone interested in contacting the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center Hotline can call (505) 277-2911.

Makayla Grijalva is a freelance multimedia reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MakaylaEliboria.