Letter: War with Iran would be indefensible

As many analysts had expected, President Trump recently declined to re-certify Iran’s compliance with the nuclear agreement reached under the Obama administration. Then-President Obama repeatedly stated that he preferred this diplomatic solution over another unnecessary war in the Middle East or a nuclear armed Iran. While it is still too early to say where this new action will lead, this could be the first step toward a war in the Middle East, similar to George W. Bush’s bloody and unsuccessful occupation of Iraq back in 2003.

The Iraq that the U.S. attacked in 2003 was a country that had been crippled by many years of economic sanctions, and the Shia majority had no love in their hearts for the tyrant Saddam Hussein, who had fiercely persecuted them. Iran in 2017 is a country which has built a strong economy in spite of sanctions, enjoys the support of the majority of its people and has a modern military. Iran is also three times the size of Iraq and has about fifty million more people than Iraq — does an occupation of that country sound feasible to you?

Call your congressman and let them know that you don’t want to see your loved ones in the military going to fight and die in another unnecessary war in the Middle East. Support the troops by not putting them in harm’s way in the first place. Shame on President Trump and his billionaire, Zionist donors who appear ready to fight Iran to the last drop of American blood. Let’s hope for the best, but let’s also be prepared for the worst.

Muhajir Romero