Letter: Trump's administration has done nothing to curb violence

On Friday, Jan. 20, 2017, President Trump declared, “This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.” On Oct. 5, 2017, the White House whined “that only 5 percent of media coverage has been positive about this President and this administration, while at the same time, you have the stock market and economic confidence at an all-time high; ISIS is on the run.”

Here, in the reality-based community, the bull stock market began on March 9, 2009, which was one year after Obama took office. Why did Trump call Obama’s economy carnage? ISIS has been on the run for years. The reason our dear leader hasn’t received positive news coverage is because the GOP hasn’t accomplished ANYTHING in 10 months. Republicans control the White House, the Senate, the House and the Supreme Court, yet they simply can’t GOVERN!

When asked if Trump values the First Amendment, the White House spokeswoman claimed that President Trump is an “incredible advocate” of freedom of the press, but said “with those freedoms also come responsibilities.”

Why does the freedom to bear firearms not come with responsibility? It’s not like the United States doesn’t have a gun problem.

Since July 2017, gun deaths in the United States are up 12 percent compared with last year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which tracks gun deaths based on media reports and law enforcement records. As of today, after the tragedy in Las Vegas, the site records 11,686 gun deaths in 2017 — including 273 via mass shooting (the archive’s definition of “mass shooting” is an incident in which four or more people were shot at).

Here’s a suggestion for Huckabee Sanders — how about Trump sets the standard of coverage he wants to receive? That means he needs to stop with the lies and admit his wrongdoing. Let’s start with him being wrong about the Central Park Five teenagers and rescinding his call for them to be executed. Then the birther BS. Then the administration’s bogus claim of record attendance for his inauguration. Then the President’s false claim that Pres. Obama wiretapped him. Or how about him saying he fired Comey because of how Comey treated Hillary? The coverage he gets is because he’s lied so much that people are cynical of what he says and have to verify everything that comes out of his anus-shaped mouth. The President built this!

“I’ll be able to make sure that when you walk down the street in your inner city, or wherever you are, you’re not gonna be shot. Your child isn’t gonna be shot.” — August 2016

“The crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon come to an end. Beginning on January 20, 2017, safety will be restored.” — July 2016 at the Republican National Convention

“This chaos and violence will end, and it will end very, very quickly.” — August 2016

“A Trump administration will end this long nightmare of violence.” — Multiple speeches in November and December 2016

“We are going to build a border wall, enforce our laws, and keep our people safe. The chaos, the violence and the crime will come to an end — beginning in January of 2017.” — October 2016

Brian Fejer

UNM Alumnus