Letter: Suicide is never the best answer

I, as an older student, am here to say to younger students: never commit suicide.

I’ll tell you why. It isn’t as it I have never wanted to, because I have when I was in my 20s. I had two almost tragically close attempts. Then after the second attempt, I made a decision that no matter how hard life got, I would never do that.

Life has its good moments and its bad. And sometimes it can get very bad...but never give up.

Sometimes, it’s financial pressure, depression, failed love, relationships, etc. Never let someone be so important that you feel that you can’t live without them. I’ve had my heart smashed and then a few years later, I’m wondering why I even liked that person and was glad it didn’t work out!

I know some may not get this, but God can help us get through things. That being said does not mean that we will not suffer. But it says in the Bible to “cast your cares upon the Lord, and He will sustain you.”

God cares. You matter.

You can’t tell right now what the future may bring. You may end up doing many things in this life. You may volunteer, invent something, create something, work in service to others. There is just a plethora of possibilities.

Don’t let the pressures of the moment lead you to take your life.

If I had died by my own hand, I would never have met the people I’ve met, done the things I’ve done or experienced what I have experienced. Right now, I am doing artwork. I used to do dance. I am doing some writing. Life isn’t perfect. There are things that happen that are unpleasant. But, I just turn on the radio at night and dance in my apartment, and it takes the edge off. Or I enjoy the beauty of the clouds and the leaves.

Taking your life hurts many people who loved you, and it can make them mad that you left them. Just take my advice and never give up.

You can and must go on! Life needs you. You are wonderful.

Jean Hampleman