Sports Issue — Women’s soccer: Lobos add seven to roster

As the University of New Mexico women’s soccer program prepares for its upcoming spring season, it announced the addition of seven new players to the roster for the 2018 fall season.

“This group of players is exceptionally talented and will fit in with our culture of hard work on and off the field immediately,” UNM head coach Heather Dyche said in a release. “They are excellent students, outstanding players and, most importantly, great people.”

Of the seven signees, three are local and the remaining four are from Washington and Colorado — states UNM has repeatedly dipped into for talent.

Last season the Lobos added 13 players to their roster. Among those, six were from New Mexico, coming from high schools in Rio Rancho and Albuquerque. Since the beginning of her tenure, Dyche has demonstrated her confidence in New Mexico-produced talent through heavy in-state recruitment. In the 2017 fall season, more than a third of the squad was local.

Below is a summary of the recently recruited players set to join the Lobos for the 2018 fall season.

Lexi Baca, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Forward: Graduating from Cibola High School this spring, Baca is a high school All-American and was the 2016 New Mexico Gatorade Player of the Year — and she has been nominated again this year. Baca won back-to-back state championships with Cibola (2015-16) and won four New Mexico State Cup titles with Rio Rapids’ 99.

Jadyn Edwards, Mill Creek, Washington, Forward: Edwards played for Jackson High School and put up 18 goals and 17 assists her senior year. She was selected as the 2017 Everett Player of the Year and helped Jackson win both the District and Wesco championships between 2014 and 2017.

Alesia Garcia, Aurora, Colorado, Forward: Garcia played for Cherokee Trail High School and was the conference’s offensive player of the year in 2015. She played for the club Colorado Storm in the ‘00 age group. With the Storm, Garcia won a National Premier League title.

Mackenna Havenor, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Defender: Havenor was named 2017 all-district player of the year for Albuquerque High School and won the New Mexico State Cup in 2014 and 2016 with Rio Rapids Reign ’00.

Jaelyn Hendren, Highlands Ranch, Colorado, Defender: Hendren helped Mountain Vista High School to a State Championship title in 2017 and was also named all-league and all-conference. She played for Colorado Storm and helped them win the Colorado State Cup and finish in the Elite Clubs National League final four.

Karlee Maes, Albuqerque, New Mexico, Defender: Maes played for La Cueva High School and won a state title in 2017 — putting up 26 goals that season — and was named New Mexico’s Player of the Year. She was also named a 2017 high school All-American and won the New Mexico State Cup with Rio Rapids.

Kylie Russell, Kirkland, Washington, Defender: Russell attended Inglemoor High School and captained the high school team during her senior year. Russell won the Washington State Cup and the Farwest Regional Championships with Pacific Northwest Soccer Club in 2017. She won the Washington State Cup with the Northwest Nationals in 2012 and 2014.

Matthieu Cartron is a sports beat reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women’s soccer and men’s tennis. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cartron_matt.