Four alumni inducted into Anderson Hall of Fame

Earlier this month, four alumni from the University of New Mexico and Anderson School of Management were inducted into the Anderson Hall of Fame.

The individuals were all honored with a banquet at Sandia Resort and Casino — the 29th Hall of Fame Awards.

“The inductees were nominated by their peers,” said Dean of Anderson School of Management Craig White. “They have accomplished outstanding achievements in their professional and community activities. The members of this group represent the capability of all the alumni of the Anderson School of Management.”

According to White, the nominees for the Hall of Fame go through a rigorous selection process. After being nominated, these individuals are screened, reviewed and scored by the Anderson Foundation Board’s Advancement Committee.

This year, only four alumni came out on top — Gary Gordon, Sheila Mendez, Stephine Poston and Anthony Trujillo.

Gordon received his law degree at UNM in 1986. He spent many years as a medical malpractice lawyer for Miller Stratvert, P.A. In 2009, Gordon became the treasurer for Albuquerque Academy. He has also spent 12 years as chair for the UNM Foundation. He and his wife frequently donate to UNM and the Anderson School of Management.

Mendez attended the Anderson School of Management in the late 1980s. She also played on the women’s volleyball team at UNM. Mendez now helps other female athletes at UNM, as she is a founding member of the UNM Lobo Women’s Society and is the president-elect of the Alumni Lettermen’s Association.

Mendez is now the director of the Public Service Company of New Mexico Resources, where she works in technology, strategy and management.

Poston graduated from UNM in 1990 and originally planned to work in the U.S. Forest Service. Instead, she came home to Sandia Pueblo, where she worked in tribal planning and public relations. In 2004, she started Poston & Associates, LLC where she strives to help many other Native American tribes.

Trujillo received his degree from Anderson and was the first in his family to graduate with a four-year college degree. Trujillo is now the president and CEO of HOLMANS USA, which specializes in the sales and services of Hewlett-Packard and Apple products, as well as surveying and GPS technology.

To add to his successes, Trujillo founded the HOLMANS Foundation for Autism, where he increases awareness and helps provide public schools with technology to provide aid for teaching students with autism. His foundation was inspired by his own daughter, a 14-year-old with severe autism.

Trujillo continues to be involved with higher education in New Mexico. He is on the Foundation Board at Central New Mexico Community College and serves as an active member of the Friends of UNM College of Education.

Along with Hall of Fame inductions, the Anderson School of Management also honored Matthew Sanchez and Daniel Trujillo as 2018 Young Alumni, gave Christopher Carian a Distinguished Service Award and Sul Kassichieh the Faculty Community Leadership award.

Darrell Garcia, senior alumni relations officer at Anderson School of Management, said the Hall of Fame is meant to not only honor past students, but motivate current Anderson students to excel in their careers and in the community.

“We hope that seeing what these outstanding alumni have been able to accomplish inspires our students to be the best that they can be in whatever path they choose for their career,” Garcia said. “Anything is possible with hard work, determination and persistence.”

Catherine Stringam is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cathey_stringam.