Photo of Doris Careaga, Ph.D. Photo courtesy of Chicana and Chicano Studies

Photo of Doris Careaga, Ph.D. 

Photo courtesy of Chicana and Chicano Studies

UNM prof teaches Afro-Mexican culture

Editor’s Note: This is part of a series of five profiles on women associated with the University of New Mexico, who have been recognized by Albuquerque Business First as women of influence in New Mexico.

Doris Careaga, Ph.D. is a professor in the Chicano and Chicana Studies Department, where she teaches classes that focus on Afro-Mexican culture and heritage.

“Afro-Mexican studies is not only my subject in a professional way, but it is a huge part of my life,” she said.

Careaga is from Tamiahua, Mexico and grew up with both African and Mexican culture, she said. She now works with a program called Afro-Tamiahua that helps empower the residents of her hometown by giving them the history and tools they need to further understand their identity as Afro-Mexicans.

This culture and heritage are rarely talked about in history books, and her students are excited to learn about something new. Often they are learning about their own heritage, she said.

“The most important thing is (students) know their own history, and in my sense, you are a better human being when you are happy, conscious and aware of your past, your heritage,” Careaga said.

Careaga began to do extensive research on Afro-Mexican heritage after she earned her bachelor’s degree. She was specifically interested in learning about the food, because her family in Tamiahua owned a restaurant, she said.

Careaga works to be supportive of the women taking her classes, she said.

“It is really important for every woman to know that she can do all that she wants to do. We are very capable,” Careaga said.

When Careaga moved to the U.S in her 30s and began her master’s degree, she was raising her children. Careaga knows firsthand what it is like to go to school and raise a family, and so she is supportive of her students who are raising children and attending school, she said.

Careaga tries to understand students’ circumstances and works with them, so that they are successful in her class, she said.

“You can be a better mom when you are a good student. Your kids are going to see that, and they are going to be thankful for that,” Careaga said.

Megan Holmen is a freelance news and culture reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com, culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.