UNM partners with Big Brothers Big Sisters for bowling fundraiser

Big Brothers Big Sisters will be hosting the 35th Annual Bowl For Kid’s Sake this Saturday at Isleta Fun Connection.

Each year, the University of New Mexico works in partnership to help put on Big Brothers Big Sister’s largest annual fundraiser, said Meredith Chapman-Doborski, the development associate of Big Brothers Big Sisters.

The event will start at 9 a.m. and continue until 9 p.m. Each team will have a two-hour slot to bowl, Chapman-Doborski said. Teams can register online at the Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kid’s Sake website.

Each team can consist of five people, and Big Brothers Big Sisters has set the goal for each team to raise $625, she said.

“This year our goal is to raise $102,500. We are currently 80 percent (of) the way there to our goal,” Chapman-Doborski said.

Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors students in the community. Often these students are disadvantaged and come from low socioeconomic families. The mentors provide support for individuals between ages six through 18, she said.

“The goal is to help the kids get through life. It is academic skills and life skills...The idea is to be there for the kid when they most need it,” Chapman-Doborski said, adding that the mentorship programs foster resilience and create meaningful, long-lasting friendships.

All of the money raised at Bowl for Kid’s Sake will go directly to these mentorship programs, she said. The cost to organize and run the event has been covered by local businesses. This means every penny raised will go directly to the programs, she said.

The University is involved in recruitment for Bowl For Kid’s Sake. Big Brothers Big Sisters completes a significant amount of recruitment at UNM, Chapman-Dobroski said. Each year, Greek life is involved, along with other on campus groups.

Mark Reynolds has been a mentor at Big Brothers Big Sisters for two years. This year, he became a board member and is a team captain for one of the bowling teams. Reynolds has been working at UNM for the past 15 years and is the associate director for IT Voice Communications.

He is currently mentoring a student at South Valley Academy. Donating to Bowl For Kid’s Sake allows Big Brothers Big Sisters to continue to support, encourage and care for children in our community, he said.

Big Brothers Big Sisters empowers youth in the community, and the money raised by teams helps Big Brothers Big Sisters continue to make a difference in students’ lives, Reynolds said.

Megan Holmen is a freelance reporter for news and culture at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com, culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.