Collage includes images of Saweetie, Tink, Jazmine Sullivan and Kari Faux. 

List: Four female rappers you should listen to

As conversation increases around females in the music industry, the importance of female acts in hip-hop culture seem to increase as well. With the dialogue circling around female empowerment and the escalation of female voices, there’s no better time to dive to into the discographies of these four diverse female acts. Listen to the compilation of all the female artists on an Apple Music Playlist here. Songs can also be found on the Daily Lobo Spotify account: Daily Lobo Music.

Saweetie

24-year old Diamontè Harper, aka Saweetie, jumped into the music scene by posting videos of her rapping on her Instagram account. Her hit single, “Icy Grl,” originally stemmed from a video she posted sampling Khia’s “My Neck, My Back (Lick It).” The song was posted last summer on her SoundCloud account immediately gaining traction. The bay-area native debuted her EP “High Maintenance” in March 2018 through a partnership with Warner Bros. Records and her own label, Icy Records.

“High Maintenance” brings a powerful punch of feminine energy and female empowerment. Rapping over beats produced by her cousin Zaytoven and producer CashMoneyAP, Saweetie still finds a way to bring her own addictive flair to each song.

Tink

Hip-hop and R&B vocalist, Tink has released seven mixtapes since starting her music career in 2012, with two of them being released while the Illinois-native was still in high school. After a prolonged parting with Epic and Mosely Music Group, her first studio EP, “Pain & Pleasure,” was released independently by Tink.

“Pain & Pleasure” is emotion-heavy, packed with relatable lyrics over her signature R&B beats. Her powerful and playful lyricism sets her apart from other female acts of a similar sound.

Jazmine Sullivan

Philadelphia-native Jazmine Sullivan is best known for her debut single “Need U Bad,” produced by Missy Elliot, after it topped Billboard’s Hot R&B/ Hip-Hop Songs in 2008. Since then, Sullivan has graced the soundtrack for the second season of Issa Rae’s hit television show “Insecure,” doing a collaborative single with R&B artist Bryson Tiller.

Her smooth vocals and rapid cadence carries “Insecure” before Tiller’s 40-second verse. Her latest project, “Reality Show,” sold 30,000 copies in its first week, once again topping the Billboard charts. Sullivan collaborated with R&B contemporary legend Frank Ocean on his visual album “Endless”, lending her signature vocals to “Alabama,” “Wither,” “Hubolts” and “Rushes.”

Kari Faux

After releasing her hit single “No Small Talk” in 2016, Kari Faux immediately drew the attention of Childish Gambino, as he sampled it on his mixtape “STN MTN.” In 2017 she followed up with an EP titled “Primary” that she mix and mastered herself. The groovy beats, simple production and repetitive lyricism helped her to stay true to her unique sound.

Faux has snagged multiples features on both soundtracks for Issa Rae’s television show “Insecure” with songs like “No Small Talk,” “Top Down” and “Lowkey”. Faux continues to draw attention from other artists in the business such as Aminé, Isaiah Rashad, The Internet’s Matt Martians and Chloe x Halle.