UNM org promotes entrepreneurship

The University of New Mexico Entrepreneurs began in 2016 as a chapter of the Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization and has since grown, hosting workshops, talks and creating a space for those interested in entrepreneurship.

“Entrepreneurship isn’t a billionaire business owner or someone who makes business deals every day. Entrepreneurship is a characteristic defined by people who want to make a difference in the world,” said Juan Unger, one of the lead marketers on UNME’s board.

In 2017, UNME held a Fireside Series, in which the group invited speakers to present and share their experiences. The group hosted the CFO of Meow Wolf and the director of economic development for the City of Albuquerque, UNME President Mike Sanchez said.

“(The speakers) stick out to anything (else) you will experience around you, and in the long run will inspire you to pursue great things within the world,” Unger said.

One of the goals UNME set for this year is to promote entrepreneurial learning and provide a space to build business, Sanchez said.

“We also host and live stream the UNM Business Plan Competition and co-manage the Studio G Accelerator, both statewide programs for economic development,” he said.

The UNM Business Plan Competition is hosted by the Anderson School of Management and is a seven-month process in which students make a plan for launching their own startup, according to the competition’s website.

As posted on UNME’s Facebook page, UNME hosted and live streamed a startup financial boot camp for the UNM Business Plan Competition this February.

UNME began the semester by holding a spring kickoff Feb. 7 and at the beginning of this month, met with the CNM Entrepreneurship Club and the Young Innovators Group. Both events are shared on UNME’s Facebook page.

“We are the creators of opportunity, and with this opportunity, it’s important we teach and explore the various ways we approach our ideas. A lot of times people don’t know where to start, causing men and women to shy away from greatness,” Unger said.

“UNME’s mission is to bring together the entrepreneurially minded from all across UNM and Albuquerque for learning, community and building businesses,” Sanchez said.

The group typically meets at 7:30 p.m. on Mondays at the Student Union Building Isleta room, according to UNME’s Facebook page.

Annie Edwards is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @annie_ce18.