Photo courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures 

Photo courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures 

Movie Review: Rampage sees "The Rock" in a familiar role

Released on April 13th, “Rampage” was one of the most well-advertised films of the year. It was almost impossible to browse the internet without seeing some sort of “Rampage” advertisement.

And these advertisements most likely featured Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson flexing in tattered clothing in front of a war-torn, smoke-filled cityscape.

Actor Dwayne Johnson takes on the role of Davis Okoye in this film, a primatologist who shares an incredibly strong bond with a gorilla named George.

“Rampage” was directed by Brad Peyton and also cast Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Brianna Hill, and Joe Manganiello as its lead actors.

George’s attitude is extremely altered due to an ill-fated lab experiment, turning him into a giant, monstrous ape who set out to destroy anything in his way.

As one could imagine, it is up to Davis to find a cure for the mutation and turn his best friend, George, back to his normal, kind self.

This movie reminded me a lot of the “Planet of the Apes” films. Don’t get me wrong — it was a good and entertaining film, but it didn’t stray too far from the well-known ape movies that most of us are familiar with.

What made the film entertaining was Dwayne Johnson. Without him, the film would likely have lacked the strong leadership needed to keep the movie interesting.

Where plot may have been lacking, Johnson made up for it with his terrific and dramatic acting — although this role wasn’t much different than other roles he has taken on before. Johnson’s role reminded me of a combination of his characters Ray in “San Andreas” (2015) and Hank in “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island” (2012).

As in these films, Johnson was tasked with going to extreme measures in order to save the world in “Rampage,” this time from his gigantic gorilla friend turned bad.

In my opinion, the film's rating of PG-13 is pretty fair. There isn’t extreme violence or much adult-content. The movie is definitely suitable for older children who deal well with the intense action and slight violence.

As for other moviegoers, especially fans of "The Rock," “Rampage” is definitely worth seeing in theaters if you’re in the mood for a sci-fi/fantasy action movie.

It isn’t much more than that though. It isn’t a movie that will make you think too hard and have your mind racing. It is probably a film that you’ll only need to see once.

It will give you a fun and action filled movie experience. If you like action films “Rampage” is definitely worth seeing.

Timber Mabes is a culture reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @timbermabes.