Poster courtesy of IMDb

Poster courtesy of IMDb

Movie Review: "Solo" reveals hidden layers in Star Wars universe

Released on May 24th, 2018, “Solo: A Star Wars Story” has been one of the most anticipated and greatest advertised new movies of 2018.

The Star Wars franchise kicked off the summer with this exciting new release, which serves as a backstory for the beloved Star Wars character, Han Solo.

The Star Wars franchise has a reputation of telling stories backward, and this movie was set multiple decades before the events of the 2017 Star Wars film, “The Last Jedi.

Many Star Wars fans likely know that Han Solo was originally played by Harrison Ford in the “Star Wars” Episodes IV-VII, but in this addition to the Star Wars franchise, Han is played by Alden Ehrenreich, who in my opinion, does an amazing job.

Watching the film’s trailer, I was somewhat sad because Ehrenreich looks little like a young Harrison Ford, but once the movie began that was the last thing that I was thinking about.

Ehrenreich did an absolutely wonderful job exemplifying Han’s character, and the movie granted viewers many interesting insights into Han’s childhood and past, truly did transform himself into the legendary character.

As an added bonus, not only does the film touch on Han’s backstory, but part of Chewbacca’s backstory too.

If you have ever wondered what Han’s name means, how Han and Chewie met, how Han learned to fly or how Han came across his ship, this movie is the right movie for you.

And, even if you aren’t a huge Star Wars fan, the movie will still make sense and will still be entertaining. Unlike “The Last Jedi,” this movie requires no previous Star Wars knowledge to keep up. It simply follows the story of how Han Solo came to be the Han Solo that many of us know and love today.

The film also stars many well-known actors, such as Woody Harrelson and Emilia Clarke, and singer, rapper and writer Donald Glover (a.k.a. Childish Gambino).

I would love to tell you so many more details about the movie’s plot and character dynamics, but I truly just do not want to give one thing away. It is so much better going in blind and waiting for the surprises.

This movie kept me excited, interested, full of laughter and tears, and put a huge smile on my face.

The film explores the meaning of friendship, loyalty, love, and shows the audience what it means to be a “good guy.” It also gives us a look into the Star Wars world that has never been seen before.

Everyone, both young and old, should see “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” It is full of meaning, action and will give longtime Star Wars fans a bit of nostalgia for the past.

Timber Mabes is a culture reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @timbermabes.