Collage contains album covers from Kids See Ghosts, Ryan Beatty, Roy Blair and Boy Pablo. 

Music: The top tracks of June

Every month a few of the Daily Lobo reporters put together a list of our favorite songs released each month and they are added to our songs of the year playlist on spotify. For the month of June we pulled songs released by Drake, Florence + The Machine, The Carters and Teyana Taylor so that you can find music to add to your daily rotation as well.

“In My Feelings” - Drake

Drake released his highly-anticipated 25-song, double-disc album, with one “disc” consisting of R&B songs and the other giving off more of a rap vibe. “In My Feelings” is a sample-filled catchy hit, that seemingly sticks in the your head, even hours after first listen. “In My Feelings” sampled four different pieces of work, including: “Smoking Guns” by Magnolia Shorty, City Girls vocals, Lil Wayne lines that were pulled from the 2008 hit, “Lollipop” and a clip from an episode of Donald Glover’s, Atlanta. Considered one of Drake’s best off of “Scorpion” this had to be at the top of our list for the “Top Songs of June.”

"Whoa (feat. Banes World)" - Inner Wave

The Los Angeles-based band, Inner Wave dropped a futuristic, space-expedition sounding “Whoa” that features Long Beach artist, Banes World. Inner Wave and Banes world seemingly mesh together to create an alternative melodical masterpiece that could be placed in comparison to almost any song off of Tame Impala’s 2015 album, “Currents.”

"Sick Feeling" - Boy Pablo

After reaching almost 10 million views on his music video for the song “Everytime,” the Norwegian-based singer and producer creates another lo-fi hit with “Sick Feeling.” Pablo sings “What a sick, sick feeling to let you go my dear” over a simple-sounding drum and guitar set. “Sick Feeling” makes for an easy, but meaningful listening experience, one that can also be translated into an indie-pop summer anthem, fit for a evening drive, one with the windows down and the listeners hair blowing in the wind.

"Snow White" - Roy Woods

OVO-signee, Roy Woods creates another soft-sounding rap single with “Snow White.” Dropped in unison with another single titled, “Russian Cream,” Woods signature vocals glide over a subtle beat, that is reminiscent of his 2015 EP-”Exis.” Roy Woods seems to stay comfortable with in his trademark sound, but we are not mad about it.

"Dennis" - Roy Blair

Reminiscent of an early 2000’s indie-rock hit, Roy Blair masters his vocals by singing and rapping over guitar strings and a drum-filled beat. “Dennis” gives the same carefree feeling of Weezer’s 2001 single, “Island In The Sun.” Roy Blair picked a perfect time to release ”Dennis” for the carefree, summer month that is June.

"End Of Love" - Florence + The Machine

“End Of Love” is in some ways a nostalgic summer sadness song. Florence Welch effortlessly weaves in nodes of hopefulness, sadness and emptiness with each verse. Florence’s voice seems to flow like the wind, one minute alone and the next carried by a choir of other voices.Her voice lends aid at creating a story of filling emptiness with anything that Florence can find, even if only momentarily filling the void.

"Camo" - Ryan Beatty

The recently added voice to Brockhampton is building a strong name for himself, with an outstanding single, “Bruise.” Leading his wave of new music, Ryan takes a few minutes to revisit his past self in high school on “Camo.” “Camo” is an up beat pop ballad that explores Ryan sitting in his room looking at posters of Japanese Women, looking back on his time in cross country and the depression that he had to hide from the world.

"Rose In Harlem" - Teyana Taylor

“Rose In Harlem” is Teyana Taylor’s most complete song to date with production from Kanye West. Teyana compares herself to the upbringings of Tupac who was called the “rose that grew from the concrete.” Teyana spends the majority of this song flexing her diverse talents from rapping, to singing to her lyrical hooks, this is clearly seen in her last verse “”What do she do?”/ I do everything.”

"NICE" - The Carters

Jay-Z and Beyonce have come together for a momentous musical journey and shine brightest on their song “Nice” featuring Pharrell. “Nice” finds the Carters at their most confident in years as Beyonce says “F you” to Spotify, and her and her families haters. With a brilliant uplifting hook of “I can do anything” it’s clear the Carters are running on a natural high from their family’s recent success.

"Boys" - Lizzo

Lizzo creates a fun, hilarious and joyous track entitled “Boys” where Lizzo makes it clear she doesn’t discriminate against any kind of boys. Lizzo stated that “I want these boys to know that you could be my next victim... If you play your cards right.” This kind of attitude is rarely seen by female artist who almost exclusively sing about rich, fit, and famous guys. “Boys” will live on as an almost immediate mood booster and will having girls and guys singing “From the playboys to the gay boys/ Go and slay, boys, you my fave boys.”

"Redemption" - Jay Rock

The title track of Jay Rock’s latest project “Redemption,” is a jazz-infused rap track that serves as a self reflecting song that is aided by the sweet voice of SZA and small adlibs by Kendrick Lamar. Jay Rock is known for bombastic, boisterous songs about fame and success but as Jay Rock reflects on what he calls a “second chance at life” after surviving an almost fatal motorcycle accident, he lists off all the changes he’s taking on after the accident. It’s a rare moment for Jay to open up and explore his personal life.

"4th Dimension" - Kids See Ghosts

All recent media aside, only a truly talented producer like Kanye West would have the idea of splicing in a vintage Christmas song into a rap project. “4th Dimension” is a quick yet amazingly creative song by Kanye and Kid Cudi that echoes similar themes to “Jesus Walks” with a driving beat made up of a kind of gospel choir.

Shayla Cunico is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ShaylaCunico.

Colton Newman is the photo editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted by email at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Coltonperson.