Honor's College closes year with carnival

On May 3rd, the University of New Mexico’s Honors Student Association hosted their annual Closing Carnival.

Located in the Honors College Plaza beneath the UNM Student Health Center, the Closing Carnival took place from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., while students were still on campus.

Formerly known as the Honors Farewell Fiesta, the Closing Carnival featured dinner in the form of platters from Dickeys BBQ, macaroni and cheese, nachos, a cotton candy machine, an assortment of taffy, and a Bahama Bucks Sno Cone stand.

All food provided was absolutely free, treating many of the students to one last treat before the end of the semester.

Many Honors students gathered to eat their pulled pork, talk, and play games before the stress of finals weeks began.

Activities included a non-alcoholic version of beer pong, a photowall, and voting for which a HSA associate should get a pie thrown into their face.

“This carnival was one last hoorah for the Honors College and was for students to come together as a family,” said Madeline D’Arezzo, a first-year American Studies Major at UNM who is also pursuing a minor in Honors Interdisciplinary Studies.

In the midst of all the prospective changes coming soon to the UNM Honors College, the gathering featured almost no mention of the recent stresses and tension.

The gathering featured no appearance from UNM Honors College Dean, Greg Lanier, who is leading the fight for changes to UNM Honors College.

“With all the changes happening within the Honors College, this event is important in that it shows that we are still supporting each other and we’re willing to come together,” said D’Arezzo

Of these changes, one of the largest includes moving UNM's Honors College across campus to their new location in the Anderson East Building, which is located right next to UNM’s brand new Mickennon School of Management.

Lanier has proposed removing the option for Honors College students to obtain a Distinction in Honors for their diplomas and has proposed other changes to Honors College curriculum and class offerings.

The Closing Carnival, which was run by Honors Student Association volunteer members and leaders, allowed students to gather in community and bond without the fear of these coming changes, said D'Arezzo.

Throughout the year, UNM’s Honors Student Association hosts many events which all students are almost always welcome to, not only Honors students.

These events include lectures, movies, presentations, and game nights which usually take place in the Honors College Forum, located directly under the Student Health and Counseling Center.

Anyone who is interested in joining the Honors Student Association or applying for the UNM Honors College can learn more about it and their events on their website: honors.unm.edu.

Timber Mabes is a culture reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @timbermabes.