President Stokes addresses an audience during a State of the University speech in UNM SUB September 17, 2018.

Five and why: President Stokes' favorite books

President Garnett S. Stokes is the first female president of the University of New Mexico. Over the course of her life, Stokes earned her bachelor's degree in psychology from Carson-Newman College in Tennessee and her master’s and doctoral degree in industrial and organizational psychology from the University of Georgia.

Previously working for the University of Missouri, Florida State University and the University of Georgia, Stokes has received renowned praise for creating transformative academic environments. Stokes is also a fellow of the Association for Psychological Science, the American Psychological Association and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology.

From her various leadership positions to the research she has done, President Stokes has spent a lot of her time reading. So, when we asked UNM’s 23rd president what her five favorite books were and why, this is what she said:

“Getting Things Done” by David Allen

“I’m always looking for ideas to increase my productivity, and I’ve probably used more good ideas from this book than from any other. My desk, however, doesn’t always look like that of someone who follows Allen’s suggestions!”

“Wherever You Go There You Are” by Jon Kabat-Zinn

“My focus on productivity must be balanced by an awareness of the present and the world around me. This book is one I have returned to over the years with its reminders of how to be fully present with myself and others.”

“A Place on Earth” by Wendell Berry

“I am drawn to rhythms of rural America and a focus on the earth and its farmlands and forests. This book resonates with me because it reflects continuity and change in life, both human life and that of the earth itself.”

“Peterson’s Field Guides: Eastern and Western Birds” by Roger Tory Peterson

“I’m a former backyard birder, and I continue to love knowing what the birds are that I see and hear. I’m far from an expert, and I have a long way to go before I know the birds of the Southwest, but these books are my go-to books for learning.”

“Autobiography of Malcolm X” by Alex Haley

“I read this book as a teenager, and it was the first book I’d ever read that was focused on issues in the Civil Rights movement. I was captivated and the book led me to be seriously invested in understanding racial issues in America.”

Luisa Pennington is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @_lpennington_.