A Colorado School of Mines hockey player tries to score against the University of New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 15.

Hockey: Lobo hockey club back on ice to host season opener

The UNM hockey team is back this Friday facing off against the Colorado School of Mines for their opening game of the season. Last year, the team, led by head coach Grant Harvey, landed themselves in the ACHA National Championship.

Last year, the Lobos finished the regular season with a 20-4-1 record and impressively remained undefeated for the first 11 of those games. The goal this year will be for the team to somehow find its way back a nationals— something Harvey said would be an achievement in and of itself.

“You don’t ever get spoiled and say ‘if we don’t make nationals it doesn’t measure up to last year,’” Harvey said, “every time you get to the playoffs it’s good.”

The team apparently didn’t skip a beat in the offseason, as Harvey said players have participated in pickup games and gotten some time on the ice to sharpen skills and keep guys fresh.

But not everything has remained the same. The team had some key departures with some players graduating and, as a result, this season’s roster is smaller in numbers. That could cause some depth concerns, as Harvey said there are about five less guys on the bench.

Despite the short roster, the team is looking sharp in practices, moving into complex drills that they weren’t working on this time last year. Harvey seemed confident in his offense and their ability to put up points.

“I do think it’s going to come down to goal tending,” the head coach said, “it’s going to come down to a big save or a defensive stop in the end.”

James Bostian, a graduate student and the team’s goalkeeper, was essential to UNM’s success last season. And he is slated to return to the ice and settle in between the pipes to protect the net again. Harvey is looking at guys who were behind the first and second line offensive players to score high this season, saying they do not have the luxury of only putting up one or two points.

Coach Harvey appeared to be confident his players will rise to the occasion of winning and seemed hopeful that playing at home will be an advantage for the boys.

“They (the players) either get a massive amount of butterflies or it propels them to play a really good game,” Harvey said in regards to playing in front of a home crowd.

After the success of last season, the pressure will be on the Lobos for the first time to show whether they are ready to ride the momentum and build on last year’s success or if they suffer an early setback. Last year, the hockey team darted out of the gate, posting a 10-0-1 record to start the season.

The Lobos return to the ice Friday, Sept. 14 at 8:00 p.m. at the Outpost Ice Arena with hopes to get in their first win against the Orediggers.

Alanie Rael is a freelance sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She primarily covers volleyball, hockey and track and field, but also contributes content for football. She can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @AllyRael.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers basketball and baseball and contributes content for various other sports as well. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Robert_Maler.