"Breaking Bad" creator hosts Q&A at UNM

On Thursday, a crowd of over 400 people gathered at the University of New Mexico’s Student Union Building to listen to a “Breaking Bad” ABQ and A session that featured show creator Vince Gilligan and Mayor Tim Keller.

Hosted by the UNM’s Honors College, “Breaking Bad” ABQ and A was the first lecture in the Carruthers Lecture Series. In order to recognize the importance of higher education, the Garry Carruthers Chair in Honors Endowment funds the series. This year’s title is “My New Mexico.”

Specifically, the Q&A was made possible by the hand-selected Honors College Council members whose duties are to promote the honors program and bring attractions to the University. It was also created to teach council members about the state and its culture. The Q&A was lead by Honors College Associate Professor, Ryan Swanson.

After Mayor Tim Keller welcomed both Gilligan and Swanson to the stage at the front of the room, he began to thank Gilligan for putting Albuquerque on the map. According to Mayor Keller, both “Breaking Bad” and “Better Call Saul” helped make Netflix studio’s affirmed location in Albuquerque possible.

Quickly completing the introduction, Mayor Keller redirected attention to the stage where Swanson began the interview. Diving directly into the matter, Swanson opened the night with asking Gilligan why he chose New Mexico.

“I did have in mind Southern California where I live most of the time” Gilligan said. “(When some of our executives asked) ‘what do you think about shooting in Albuquerque, New Mexico? We can save some money on our production and employ a lot of New Mexico folks…’ it took all of 30 seconds of a phone call to say yes.”

Swanson then asked questions concerning the character development of “Breaking Bad” protagonist Walter White. According to Gilligan, it took many years to realize that White was the world's greatest liar and that, though he was a lot of drama, you have to go where the drama takes you.

Other topics of discussion included Bryan Cranston’s acting career, success and failure as a writer and Albuquerque’s landscape. Though Gilligan announced his love for Albuquere throughout the interview, Swanson concluded the night by asking if he’d ever considered what implications “Breaking Bad” and “Better Call Saul” have placed upon the city.

“Wherever we landed… we were worried about if people were going to misread our intentions and think this was a show glorifying criminality, specifically glorifying drug dealing,” Gilligan said. “It gave us pause… but hopefully the good (of the show) outweighs the bad.”

After the event, a select amount of audience members were invited to the VIP reception. There, desserts and drinks were provided while people further discussed Gilligan's responses.

“I think this was an incredible event,” said Cole Brewer, an IFDM major at UNM. “To know that he’s where he’s at now because of all of the failures he’s had, I think that is something that should stick with somebody in any career.”

The event also provoked discussion about what the New Mexico filming industry might evolve into. Filled with UNM students, the reception inspired thought about what Gilligan’s work has done for film students at the University.

“I think it goes for everyone who is pursuing film in New Mexico, specifically the Albuquerque and Santa Fe area, that (shows like these) are creating job opportunities, which is what we’re looking for,” said Logan Nowicki, a senior studying IFDM. “We’re looking for a chance to get on sets and work and we’re looking to work collaboratively with those around us, but I think the most important thing that it does, is it that it gives us experience creating.”

Luisa Pennington is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @_lpennington_.