Photo courtesy of National Parks Service website. 

The federal elections on this year's ballot

Midterm elections are approaching and there are countless races voters need to know about. Early voting begins on Saturday, Oct. 20 and the General Election is Tuesday, Nov. 6. On the ballot are two Federal Offices, seven New Mexico State Offices and more than 10 other items.

For this article, we’ll be focusing on federal elections that will be on this year’s ballot. Local and state elections will be covered in subsequent articles.

U.S. House of Representatives Race

Both the House of Representatives and the Senate are part of the legislative branch. The legislative branch’s primary function is to create and ratify laws. The House of Representatives is known as the lower chamber and all revenue bills must originate from the House of Representatives.

Congressional District 1

Deb Haaland is the Democratic candidate for New Mexico CD-1. Haaland would be the first Native American woman elected to Congress if she wins.

Janice Arnold-Jones is the Republican candidate for New Mexico CD-1. Previously, Arnold-Jones was a member of the New Mexico House of Representatives.

Lloyd Princeton is the Libertarian candidate for New Mexico CD-1. Princeton is running for Congress with the message of “Last, No More.”

Congressional District 2

Xochitl Torres Small is the Democratic candidate for New Mexico CD-2. Torres Small has previously worked as field representative for Sen. Tom Udall (D).

Yvette Herrell is the Republican candidate for New Mexico CD-2. Herrell grew up in New Mexico, identifies as a Christian conservative and was a member of the New Mexico House of Representatives.

Congressional District 3

Ben Ray Lujan is the Democratic candidate for New Mexico CD-3. Lujan currently sits on Congress’s Energy and Commerce Committee and is the chairman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Jerald Steve McFall is the Republican candidate for New Mexico CD-3. He is a farmer and ski instructor. McFall has previously stated that “career politicians are destroying our government.”

Chris Manning is the Libertarian candidate for New Mexico CD-3. He served in the Arizona National Guard and currently works for his family’s accounting firm.

U.S. Senate Race

The Senate is known as the upper house and is the smaller of the two components of congress. Federal nominations go through the Senate. The Senate may also reject or ratify treaties through a two-thirds vote. Udall will not be up for reelection until 2020.

Martin Heinrich is the Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate. Heinrich is the incumbent and was elected to the Senate in 2012.

Mick Rich is the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate. Rich has worked as a contractor and engineer since 1984.

Gary Johnson is the independent candidate for the U.S. Senate. Johnson has served as the New Mexico Governor for two terms and in 2016 he ran for U.S. President.

Megan Holmen is the assistant news editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at assistant-news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.