One year after the #MeToo movement rose to popularity, University of New Mexico students think about it's lasting effects.

Check out the article written by Megan Holmen http://www.dailylobo.com/article/2018/10/me-too-movement-reaction

One year of the #MeToo movement

It has been a year since the #MeToo movement took the nation by storm. University of New Mexico students shared their thoughts and opinions with the Daily Lobo on how the #MeToo movement has impacted them and how the movement has changed over the past year.

According to the #MeToo movement website, “Our vision from the beginning was to address both the dearth in resources for survivors of sexual violence and to build a community of advocates, driven by survivors, who will be at the forefront of creating solutions to interrupt sexual violence in their communities.”

The #MeToo movement circulated the internet via social media, making its key ideas accessible to individuals hundreds of miles apart. The #MeToo movement website says the movement was established in 2006, however it has only been over the past year that the movement made top headlines and became well known.

UNM student Mary Brug said the #MeToo movement has impacted her in multiple ways. Everyone has been impacted by it, she said. Adding that it will always have importance, especially because of recent political events like that Judge Brett Kavanaugh case.

“Regardless if you have been a victim or not, we all know someone who has been impacted by it,” Brug said. ”Discussion is the first step to change because if we are ignorant about it nothing is going to change.”

Jesse Rivera said this discussion needs to be had, particularly socially and politically. Women have been treated poorly since the beginning and discussing these injustices is important, he said. Adding that it has really been prevalent on social media.

“It has picked up speed and it forces people to realize their positions on issues, particularly on political ones,” Rivera said.

Andy Gustke also voiced her opinion on the importance of the #MeToo movement.The #MeToo movement empowers women and other disenfranchised groups, she said. Gustke said the movement has grown and evolved, giving her hope that someday society won’t need the it anymore. She added that the #MeToo movement gives her hope.

“Everyone deserves to feel happy, safe and validated,” Gustke said.

Rachel Montoya, another student, said it has made her aware of how many people have experienced this, adding that sexual assault and sexual violence is very prevalent. Sometimes Montoya said she found out about people’s stories over social media. Talking about these issues over social media has been powerful and visible making it more accessible, she said.

“It made me want to be there for people, but also that it is time to hold people accountable,” Montoya said.

Genevieve Romero, a student at UNM said this issue is twofold. It was both positive and negative because it made people feel less alone. However, seeing people accusing women of lying — like in the Kavanaugh case — is really hard for survivors, she said.

Working in women's organizations, Romero said she has had a lot of women come to her and tell her their stories.

“Now I can do something,” she said. “It was good to know that other people have gone through the same things that I have gone through. I did see a lot of outpouring of love and support for my story and women's stories.”

Megan Holmen is the assistant news editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com, culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.