SUB hosts Halloween Bingo

The University of New Mexico’s Student Programming in the Student Union Building hosted Halloween Bingo on Friday at 8 p.m. in the SUB. The event, which is part of UNM’s UNI Nights, attracted around 100 University students.

Students with a valid UNM ID were welcomed into the event, receiving a free fanny pack and candy. For those interested in following the UNM SUB’s Instagram or Snapchat, an additional chance to win a UNI Nights mug was offered through a raffle.

According to Anders Flagstad, projects coordinator for the SUB, over 20 prizes were given away. Prizes included items such as a Morphe Palette, Hydro Flask, Bob Ross Mug, Cards Against Humanity and more.

“I like to see students having fun… and it’s rewarding to see people walk away with prizes,” said Emily Louth, the student programing coordinator.

Catered by Chartwells, participants were welcomed to grab a selection of desserts, snacks and drinks. Students had the opportunity of selecting from cupcakes, vegetables and more. Before bingo begun, students talked amongst themselves about what attracted them to the event.

“My roommates and I all came because we were really excited about the fanny packs and the food,” Vasara Kulbis, a UNM freshman majoring in computer science, said.

For many UNM students, UNI Nights offers an opportunity to spend time with friends while getting involved with the community on campus. According to Louth, these events were created with the intention to get students interested in the SUB.

“UNI Nights benefits students because they are fun free events that we can do together to get prizes,” Sarah Storbakken, a sophomore nursing student, said. “I decided to come to spend quality time with my roommates because it’s a fun and easy thing to get to that we can all participate in.”

Next month, UNM Programming for the SUB is hosting a paint night on Nov. 19. There, students will be given free canvases and paint to create different works of art.

“I enjoy hosting these events because, every program, I see people who have never talked before become friends,” Flagstad said.

Luisa Pennington is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. She can contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @_lpennington_.