ASUNM Senator Holly Gallegos and other senators question a member of the public about expenses for an upcoming event on Halloween night Oct. 31, 2018.

ASUNM: Finance Committee approves over $2,000 for Christian student group

A piece of legislation and two appropriations were sent through committee Wednesday night during the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico committee meetings.

A resolution asserting that solutions to combat sexual violence should be pursued was passed through the Steering and Rules Committee.

The resolution's author, Senator Rose Cary, highlighted fixing the broken blue light phones across campus, installing more lights in parking lots around UNM and extending shuttle hours as solutions students would benefit from.

Much of the conversation around the resolution was about the list of recipients. If passed, the three-page resolution would be sent to 37 people, including including specific staff in departments of Office of Equal Opportunity, UNM Police Department and the President’s Office.

Vice President Emily Wilks said normally resolutions are sent to a department head who then disseminate the resolution to staff members at their discretion.

“I’m not comfortable with shortening the list just to make it easier for people to do their jobs,” Cary said. In the end, the resolution was passed through Steering and Rules with the list of names intact.

The resolution will come to a vote in Full Senate next week.

The other resolution during Wednesday night’s meeting failed. The resolution expressed ASUNM’s support for Africana Studies to transition from a program into a department.

Senator Mohammad Assed, who authored the resolution, voted nay when it came to the floor.

“The content of it was fine,” Assed said, but he wanted it to be perfect. Assed added that he would reintroduce the resolution in two weeks, at the next Steering and Rules Committee meeting.

The finance committee approved three appropriations and failed one.

Hobbit Society was approved for $402 to attend the 40th Annual Southwest Popular/American Culture Association Conference.

Catholic Apologetics Fellowship and Evangelization was approved for $227 to help fund an exhibit of icons that are representative of Eastern Christian iconography. The group's representatives said the money would go to tablecloths to protect the artifacts from the tables.

InterVarsity Christian Fellowship’s appropriation was approved for $2,081. The group requested money to travel to a conference in St. Louis, Missouri. Some of the money was marked an airplane ticket, two rental vehicles and snacks.

Student Veterans of UNM’s appropriation was again failed. Senator Madeline Kee said that the appropriation was the same as a previously failed one. Student Veterans had requested more than what the finance committee standing rules allowed.

Justin Garcia is a freelance reporter with the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers ASUNM. He can be contacted at news@unm.edu or on twitter at @just516garc.