Students to sell art at ASUNM crafts fair

This week from Wednesday to Friday, the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico are bringing back their three day ASUNM Arts & Crafts Fair.

Local artists, and some from out of state, are bringing their art to the table for students to browse and purchase in the ballrooms of the Student Union Building on UNM main campus.

Gabriella Escarcega, the executive director of the ASUNM Arts & Crafts Studio, said they are bringing over 70 vendors to the fair.

“I think (students) can expect a lot of interesting things,” Escarcega said.

The vendors are each bringing a variety of different handmade pieces, ranging anywhere from wood and metal work, to jewelry and pottery. Escarcega said this year handmade soap and fabric work are to be expected with their popularity rising in recent years at the fair.

“We want to make sure that everything is handmade, and nothing is commercialized,” Escarcega said. “That’s one of the things we look for.”

This year Escarcega said they are bringing about 10 student vendors and two alumni vendors to the fair.

“I think we got a little more diverse with things,” Escarcega said. “We have a few regular vendors, but I’m really excited to see all the fresh faces”

Students can expect the price range of the pieces to be anywhere from a maximum of $300 to a minimum of about five dollars. The vendors set their own prices for their work, but Escarcega said that she doesn’t expect too many pieces to reach the maximum price points.

Escarcega said one of her favorite vendors this year is the Curious Goat Works, a shop created by Sophia Torres, a sculptor whose focus is on ceramic dolls.

“I’m really glad that she’s back,” Escarcega said. “That’s one that I can think of, off the top of my head, that I’m excited to see again.”

The vendors take care of their own transactions at their booths as well. Escarcega said she recommends students bring cash to the fair, and that there is no way to be sure that the vendor students will be purchasing from accepts cards.

Although the ASUNM Arts & Crafts Studio puts on the fair, they don’t make any profit off of the vendors. Escarcega said everything that the artist makes goes right to their pockets.

Student work that will be available to purchase from the fair includes works from the ASUNM Arts & Crafts Studio, Arita Porcelain and UNM Printmaking.

The Department of Fine Arts offers the Arita Porcelain program, which is a historical process of making porcelain pieces, a method that was traditionally practiced in Arita, Japan. Students in the program will have their works up for purchase at the fair.

Other student work includes pieces from the UNM Printmaking department, also falling under the umbrella of the Department of Fine Arts. Printmaking at the University can include digital, lithography, monotype, serigraphy and relief — with many students pushing themselves to work with different mediums.

“Even if you don’t plan on buying anything, just show up and give (the artists) some support,” Escarcega said.

Shayla Cunico is the culture editor and music writer for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ShaylaCunico.