UNM students dig through Harry Potter themed props to wear before taking pictures in a photo booth at the UNM Harry Potter Day held annually in the Student Union Building on Nov. 20, 2018.

Harry Potter Day enchants UNM

Last week the University of New Mexico was enchanted by the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at the University’s annual Harry Potter Day.

To get into the wizarding world attendees were served Butterbeer, a drink mentioned throughout the Harry Potter series, while they had the opportunity to decorate cookies and play Harry Potter trivia.

Ryan Lindquist, the director of the UNM Student Activities Center, said that celebrating Harry Potter Day the Tuesday before everyone goes home for the holiday weekend gives students, staff and faculty the opportunity to celebrate together on campus.

“The Tuesday before Thanksgiving was chosen for the day of the event due to the many holiday themes in the great hall of Hogwarts,” Lindquist said.

Many students dress up for the event to represent the four houses of the series; Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. The representation could also be seen on the pillars of the Student Union Building where banners were hung vertically displaying the the crest of each house.

Students playing trivia could also win the t-shirt that was designed for this year’s Harry Potter Day. The maroon shirt read “UNM Harry Potter Day,” and displayed recognizable icons from the movie series.

“We see people in costumes, some people bring their children, lots of trivia buffs and people just looking to socialize and find community,” Lindquist said. “Harry Potter Day always has a great turnout, there are almost a thousand people who will stop by during the two hour event.”

Shayla Cunico is the culture and music editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ShaylaCunico.

Tiffani Watteyne is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @tiffanirosew.