Collage includes images of artists from Glee, Sufjan Stevens and Mariah Carey.

5 songs to add to your holiday playlist

Thanksgiving weekend is over and everyone is back to their usual bustle and hustle. However, the holiday season is upon us with Hanukkah and Christmas fast approaching. This is a collection of holiday tunes from a variety of genres and artists to suit your holiday mood.

“You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

A swing take on the song “You’re a Mean One,” iconic to the book and movie “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” by Dr. Seuss. The song describes the Grinch who is the least holiday spirited Who of Whoville. In this rendition of the sound saxophone, trumpet decorate the swing beat.

The middle of the song features a saxophone solo backed up by soft piano chords. The singer in the songs has a deep masculine voice, singing in a standard jazz style.

“Lumberjack Christmas” by Sufjan Stevens

In true Stevens style “Lumberjack Christmas” features banjo, violin, base and harmony. The song also features a synth solo that sounds something like an alien invasion warning with gentle piano progressions in the background. Like many holiday spirited songs it would not be complete without the background jingle of sleigh bells. It is unclear what Stevens means by this song, as one of his lyrics is “No one can save you from Christmases Past,” a darker lyric to accompany the upbeat tone of the song.

“Happy Xmas (War is Over)” by John Lennon

Only John Lennon can combine an anti-war song with a Christmas carol. Lennon’s unique and easily identifiable voice combines with Christmas caroler backup singers saying “war is over, if you want it.” Meanwhile Lennon sings “Happy Christmas, I hope you have fun.” while throwing in a wish for peace between racial groups too. While this song takes a slower tempo than other classic holiday songs the message behind the song is peace and harmony. The back up singers in this song are clearly children adding another dimension of innocence to the song.

“Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah” by Glee

A fast tempoed reel to celebrate the eight nights of Hanukkah, leads with heavy percussion and guitar strumming. It then proceeds to half tempo while the lead singer describes the lighting of the menorah.The song also breaks into an accordion solo during which clapping can be heard in the background. It is a bop.

“Greensleeves” by Mannheim Steamroller

Greensleeves is a well known winter song and all sorts of renditions can be found. Depending on the source it is rumored that it is rooted in both traditional Christian music and also traditional Pagan music that dates back to the 1500s. This take on the song is classic with oboe, clarinet, harp, flute, chimes and many stringed instruments. Greensleeves is traditionally a slow tempo song and in this rendition there are no lyrics.

“All I Want for Christmas” by Mariah Carey

Do I have to explain myself?

“Last Christmas” by Wham!

If you enjoy throwback hits then this is the song for you. Although this song has been remade dozens of times it originally came out in 1984. This Christmas song tells the story of heartbreak when the singer “gave you my heart but the very next day, you gave it away.” The song features percussion, guitar, harmonized lyrics and organ chords.

Megan Holmen is the assistant news editor fort the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at assistant-news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @megan_holmen.