Women's Basketball: Lobos add four new players

The University of New Mexico Women’s Basketball team added four new players on Wednesday as part of the 2019 recruiting class.

The Lobos added Corina Carter, Azaria Robinson, Andriana Avent and Autumn Watts, with the four officially signing to play at New Mexico as part of the early signing period that began on Wednesday.

The class is rated as a consensus Top 30 class in the nation, ranked as high as No. 29 by ESPNW’s HoopGurlz. It’s the fourth straight year that UNM has had a class rated in the top 30 by at least one outlet, but the first time that has been consensus.

“We’re really excited about the class as a whole,” head coach Mike Bradbury said in a release. “We got some versatile players, we filled some needs that we’ll have next year with players graduating.”

Robinson is the headliner of the class as the highest ranked recruit, rated as the No. 89 overall player in the country, and the No. 19 post player in the country by Dan Olson and ESPNW. As a junior, she averaged 17 points and 18 rebounds per game at West High School in Anchorage, Alaska. She’ll help fill the void left by the impending graduation of Jaisa Nunn and Nike McClure.

"Zee has great size for a forward and can play inside and out,” Bradbury said in a release. “She runs the floor like a guard, but rebounds and finishes like a post player. She is a great athlete. Her high school team is ranked #1 in the state of Alaska and her AAU team plays at a high-level all summer."

Carter, from Converse, Texas, is the second highest rated player in the class, rated as the No. 100 player in the class and the No. 26 point guard. She averaged 14.4 points per game as a junior, and helped lead her team to the Texas 6A state finals. Emily Lines is the only senior guard on the roster, so Carter will supplement a roster that includes senior to be Aisia Robertson, Jaedyn De La Cerda, and Madi Washington.

"Corina has tremendous skills, is quick, has elite-level ball handling ability, and has deep shooting range,” Bradbury said in a release. “She has the skill-set that we look for in a point guard. Her prep career has prepared her for our level as her high school team plays at the highest level in a big basketball state of Texas, and her AAU team also competes against the best in the country."

Avent comes in as the No. 131 player in the country, and the No. 34 guard. She stands at 5’10 and comes to UNM from Sacramento High School in Sacramento, California. High school statistics for her were unavailable.

"Andriana is a big guard who can really shoot it, as well as get to the basket,” Bradbury said in a release. “With her length, she has the potential to be a great defender at the next level. Andriana has played at a high level both in high school and with her AAU team and that will help prepare her for college basketball."

Autumn Watts rounds out the class for UNM, coming to the Lobos from Centennial, Colo. and Highlands Ranch High School. She’s rated as the No. 152 player in the country, and the No. 19 forward, helping to fill in the depth down low for the Lobos. She averaged 16.7 points and 9.9 rebounds per game as a junior.

"Autumn is a versatile forward who can play inside & out,” Bradbury said in a release. “She has size & athleticism and comes from a great high school and club program. Autumn's future is bright."

Cameron Goeldner is a senior reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer, women’s basketball, softball and the Albuquerque Isotopes, but also contributes content for all other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylolobo.com or on Twitter @Goeldfinger