Women's Basketball: Lobos cruise in season opener

The University of New Mexico women’s basketball team did not disappoint on Friday evening, as it went on to defeat the visiting Texas State Bobcats, 82-51, in its season opener.

The Lobos were able to force 24 turnovers and hit a new school record in blocked shots in a game at 16. The previous record for blocks in a game was 14.

Nike McClure, who played nearly 20 minutes and had a team-high six blocks, said that she doesn’t mind being known as a rim protector.

“I have no problem being known as a shot blocker because we have players that are known for everything on our team,” McClure said. “The scope of what our team can do is so wide that I wouldn't mind at all, but I know I’m capable of doing other things.

“But if that's what people see as the most powerful part of my game, then I’ll take it.”

Aisia Robertson, a transfer from Kansas who sat on the bench a season ago due to transfer rules, led the Lobos with 17 points and nine assists. She also had eight rebounds, a near triple-double, in her first game in a Lobo uniform.

Both teams opened up the game with a missed shot, but UNM was able to turn an early Texas State turnover into the first two points of the game by way of Jaisa Nunn, one of the Lobos’ most reliable players a season ago.

The rest of the first quarter was a balanced affair, with both teams trading shots. Jayla Everett, a freshman guard for UNM, made both of her free throws at the end of the quarter to pull the Lobos within two points, 16-14.

In the second quarter, however, it was much of the same. Robertson found a patch of energy and scored the first five UNM points in the frame.

Robertson made a shot from range and it was later followed by another three-pointer from Ahlise Hurst, a freshman, which ended up sparking a 7-0 New Mexico run.

Texas State went on a 5-0 run towards the end of the frame and shortened the Lobos’ lead to just 29-27 entering the half.

UNM had 10 turnovers and went 3-for-13 from beyond the arc in the first half. Head coach Mike Bradbury said his team didn't make any adjustments at halftime.

The Lobos opened up the third quarter with an 11-0 run with the help of three turnovers from the Bobcats early on.

In total, the Lobos outscored the Bobcats 33-12 in the frame behind eight points from Jaisa Nunn and a healthy dose of post play.

With a 62-39 lead at the start of the fourth quarter, UNM didn’t take its foot off the gas pedal. Instead, the Lobos scored the first four points of the frame before Texas State could make a shot.

Then, to make it a 30-point lead, UNM sophomore Madi Washington hit a three-pointer with ease to put her team up 71-41 -- and from there, the momentum totally shifted to New Mexico’s side.

The Lobos went on to defeat the Bobcats in their season opener, 82-51, in front of announced crowd of 4,585 fans.

Nunn finished with 14 points, three rebounds, and three steals. 12 of those points came in the second half, as she sat out a big chunk of the first half after getting into foul trouble.

As a team, New Mexico shot 43.7 percent from the field. The Lobos also outrebounded their opponent, 47-40.

Up next for UNM is a Sunday afternoon matchup against Auburn at the Pit. It’ll be the quarterfinals of the Preseason WNIT tournament the Lobos are apart of. Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.

Matthew Narvaiz is a senior sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers football, however, he also contributes content to other sports. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.