Architecture students host art auction

On Friday night, University of New Mexico students and members of the community gathered for drinks and cheer at the third annual student art auction, hosted by the UNM chapter of the American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS).The event was from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in George Pearl Hall and featured 48 art items including works from students, faculty and other professionals.

According to one of the coordinators for the auction Magdalena Kerkmans, a senior architecture student the money from the auction will primarily fund the students trip to the AIAS national forum in Seattle, WA that is being held from Dec. 29, 2018 to Jan. 1, 2019.

“This is our biggest fundraiser,” said Kerkmans. “The auction will help (AIAS) pay for hotels and registration.”

AIAS president and senior studying architecture, Elizabeth Wilson, said there was a total of $2,738 raised. The majority of it came from the auction of student and alumni work.

Wilson pulled in a piece donated by artist and alumni David Santiago, and said the piece was auctioned for $205.

“A piece like that would normally go for $2,500,” Wilson said.

Students, Marisol Meyer and Wesley Eccles collaborated on a longboard that was one of the works bought at the auction.

“We each are taking our talents, on things that we’ve been excited about and bring it together. That’s a real cool part of this school and the collaboration between people in all different areas,” Meyers said.

Meyers designed and shaped the longboard comprised of a Baltic birch and a walnut veneer.

“This (painting) represents masculine and feminine energy colliding,” Meyer said.

Meyer and Eccles plan on collaborating more in the future.

Another piece from the auction was by UNM alumni Sandy Johnson. It was 3D model with walnut wood finish.

“It took countless hours,” Johnson said. “I’m compelled with organic fluid form designs.”

Michael Hendrigsman is also an alumni who enthusiastically bought an Antoine Predock sketch. Antoine Predock was the architect that designed George Pearl Hall.

The American Institute Architects (AIA) New Mexico Chapter President and UNM alumni, Tina Reames outbid Hendrigsman on a pair of student made earrings.

“I love supporting students. This is where I get all of my Christmas presents,” Reams said.

Both Reams and Hendrigsman noted that UNM students and alumni are a tight-knit community.

“The idea is to give back to what you went through yourself,” Hendrigsman said.

Sol Traverso is a freelance news reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @SolTraversoinc.