A Student Works at KNME.

A student works at the KNME Studio.

Five unusual student jobs you can find at UNM

Working on campus doesn’t always mean sitting behind a desk or patroling the halls as a Residential Advisor. If you’re looking for a way to get some hands-on experience in your field, or just some cash on the side, you might want to check out these jobs offered at the University of New Mexico. 

Plant moms, Fungis wanted

The Museum of Southwestern Biology is looking for a student Museum Faculty Assistant (request a Work Study award) to help with cataloging plant specimens in the state’s largest Herbarium. Day to day the job will require taking photos of plant specimens, processing, checking and entering a lot of data for record-keeping. It will also require gentle hands to not squish any plants. 

The pay is between $10-12, on an hourly schedule. 

A staff member of the Museum of Southwestern Biology said they are also looking for student volunteers to work in all eight departments.  

You wanna be on TV?

You can be on camera —  well, running them at least, for KNME-TV just up the street on University. Expect to learn how to work audio, teleprompters, cameras, grips, and even field production. 

Required hours are Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and additional hours will be assigned by the studio. They also require students to be able to lift 50 pounds and not be afraid of heights. No Work Study required. 

Jobs include camera operator, audio tech, Chyron operator technical director and grip (they’ll tell you what all that means). 

Pay: $9/hour. 

A wild ride

The job requires both a Work Study award and a background check, but it’s “an off campus opportunity to make a difference,” with Story Riders, a program for 4th and 5th grade Indigenous and Chicanx students that builds literacy and competency through bike rides after school. 

Marco Sandoval is the coordinator, and while some work is done in the office on 505 Marquette Ave., NW, the applicant will need to be able to cycle a few times a week from 2:00-5:00 p.m.

The job is part-time and pay ranges from $12-14 hourly.

Making the grade

On the STEM side, if you’re an upper-division student in nuclear engineering, chemical and biological engineering or mathematical statistics there are often grading positions at the beginning of each semester. No work study or background check required, just that you’ve passed the class you will be grading. 

According to the position, you might have to write questions for quizzes, and are required to hold some weekly office hours. 

The pay is between $10.50-$11 hourly, and requires at least three hours a week. 

There isn’t a good pun for radiology. It’s very serious business. 

Second or third year medical students, there’s an opportunity to work with residents as a Radiology Assistant. According to the description, students will be “coordinating imaging protocols between the referring clinical services and the radiology technologists.”

The job is one to two shifts between 5 and 11p.m. per week, and pay is $15 per hour.

Danielle Prokop is a senior reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted by email at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ProkopDani.