Crime Briefs May 12

Books snatched out of C&J Display case

UNMPD is saying thieves broke into the display case inside the Communication and Journalism building May 6 and stole between 10 and 15 books, said Nancy Montoya, administrator for the C&J department.

On the morning of May 7, a professor asked Montoya why the display case was open. When she went to investigate, it appeared glass door to the case had been pushed open and books within reach had been stolen.

The burglary happened while the building was shut down. In order to access the building after hours, students and staff must swipe their Lobo card to gain entry. There was no recorded card swipes on the night of the break-in, indicating that the suspects were hiding inside the building before custodians locked the doors, Montoya said.

The C&J Department is still collecting inventory on all items inside the building. At this point it appears the books, all authored by UNM faculty, are the only items missing.

There appears to be no motive, and no arrests have been made, Montoya said.

UNMPD Spokesman Robert Haarhues said officers collected fingerprints and sent them to the Automated Fingerprint Identification System. However, they were not able to catch any surveillance video, he said.

Computers missing from Technology and Education Bldg.

On May 11, staff members at the Technology and Education building reported to UNMPD that five new computers were stolen from the storage facility inside the building.

UNMPD Spokesman Robert Haarhues said the computers were shipped to UNM on March 9 and checked into storage by Technology and Education staff members. On May 5, staff members noticed the computers were gone.

Within the two-month period the Dell 780 Optiplex computers did not receive serial numbers and were still in their box when they were reported missing.

“This seems to happen a lot,” Haarhues said. “People get new items, drop them into storage and forget about them.”

Because the items were still brand new, UNMPD cannot enter their information into a database for stolen items. There are no suspects.