Gov funds farmers markets

Gov. Bill Richardson introduced a $50,000 Recovery Act fund Aug. 24 to encourage low-income households to shop at farmers markets.

About $47,000 of the stimulus will be used in a dollar-for-dollar matching program. For example, if a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipient spends $30 at a participating farmers market, the state will match the recipient $30 for additional produce.

Although many state grocery retailers and some farmers markets accept EBT cards, only 13 farmers markets in the state are targeted by the stimulus.

Carolyn Espe, Albuquerque Downtown Growers Market director, said the market is one of the 13 targeted by the stimulus. She said the dollar-matching program went into effect Saturday, and the store received $10,000 of $47,000 to start the program.

“On average this year we are seeing about 1,200 people come to the market, per market, which is the most we’ve seen compared to years in the past,” Espe said. “As far as the percentage of folks who are using SNAP, I think the number is increasing.”

The award aids recipients of the SNAP, commonly known as the food stamp program. More than 157,000 New Mexico families are currently SNAP beneficiaries.

Nicolas Garcia, 22, said being a SNAP recipient has been beneficial, but he said locations that accept SNAP are limited.
“The farmers market has always been a good place to get food, but many do not accept food stamps,” he said. “I usually go to Walmart. The food is a lot cheaper, so I can get more. I know Whole Foods accepts food stamps, but it’s so expensive.”

Katie Falls, Human Services Department secretary, said the award will give low-income households healthier food options if they can find markets that accept SNAP.

“We are pleased to work so closely with the farmers markets across the state to help New Mexico families purchase nutritious fresh produce with their SNAP benefit,” she said.

Falls said the fund increases demand for local produce at an appropriate time of the growing season.
“This additional funding is arriving at a good time, as harvest season is in full swing,” she said.

SNAP recipients use Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards, which operate like a bank debit card. EBT payments require a machine that the EBT card is run through to charge SNAP beneficiaries.

At farmers markets, SNAP recipients receive tokens in exchange for the dollar amount they wish to spend from their EBT card, and they may use the tokens at individual produce stands within the market.
“We are working toward getting the EBT slide-card machine

available to all markets,” Espe said. “I think some markets may not be aware of it; some markets are unsure of how to fund it.”
Garcia said those who qualify should apply for SNAP benefits.

“It helps so much. It’s unbelievable. It’s been more of a positive experience than anything,” he said.
The remaining $3,000 of the fund is aimed to promote the program to low-income beneficiaries and to aid markets with accommodations for SNAP participation.

“I am thrilled that we have this program. It’s just another way for all of us as human beings to eat better,” Espe said. “I hope it continues and that all markets at some point in the near future can actually utilize it.”