8138_bballgamer2f.jpg

Phillip McDonald throws down a two-handed dunk against NMSU on Saturday. McDonald, who suffered an elbow injury that kept him sidelined for the first two games of the regular season, has helped the Lobos propel to another fast start as UNM is now 6-1 on the season.

take nothing for granted

LAS CRUCES – It wasn’t pretty, but is it ever when the Lobo men’s basketball team plays at NMSU?

All things considered, Saturday night’s contest between the Lobos and Aggies was sloppy, and UNM flirted with disaster but pulled out a 84-78 overtime victory at the Pan American Center.

“I thought we really battled defensively,” head coach Steve Alford said. “We’re a very young basketball team, and we’re ahead of the game right now when it comes to toughness and really understanding moments in games.”

Before finals week, the Lobos (6-1) took a crash course in winning on the road. If anything, the Lobos’ recent road trip provided understanding on how to play in front of hostile crowds, maintain a lead and win in overtime.

The UNM faithful can expect an electrifying sequel when the Aggies come to Albuquerque for a rematch Saturday.

Early on, UNM looked primed to win big against NMSU. The Lobos played stingy defense and used their quickness to create open shots from the exterior and took a 17-point lead midway through the first half.
But NMSU fought back.

Propelled by 21 first-half points from Troy Gillenwater, the Aggies took advantage of UNM’s poor free-throw shooting and lazy passes to keep the game close.

Off a 3-pointer, Gordo Castillo gave the Aggies a 69-68 lead with less than two minutes left in the second half.

With 24 seconds left, UNM was up 73-71 and appeared to clinch the game after Gillenwater missed a key jump shot. But on the next possession, Dairese Gary stepped out of bounds trying to avoid an Aggie defender.

Castillo proved to be the difference-maker, his fadeaway jump shot tying the game with just five seconds left. UNM missed its last field goal attempt and the game went into overtime.

Phillip McDonald led the Lobos in overtime with eight points, including two clutch 3s to give UNM an early lead. He hit a 3 to help UNM regain the lead in overtime.

“We had to think about ball pressure the whole time and make sure they don’t get a 3,” McDonald said.
Gary, McDonald and Kendall Williams all scored in double figures. Gillenwater cooled after his hot first half start, but finished with a career-high 32 points.
Still, Alford said, the Lobos came up with stops when they needed them.
“We have got to get some rest,” he said. “We’re banged up, but we got to take this week and we got to get better.”