Schmidly recovers, returns as UNM president

UNM President David Schmidly is back at his post after almost six months of absence spent recovering from operations on an abdominal tumor.

On Monday, doctors cleared President Schmidly to return to his duties at the University, and Schmidly said it’s good to be back.

“My doctors cleared me to return to work…which has been my wish for the New Year,” he said in a University-wide e-mail. “Needless to say, I am looking forward to returning to the President’s office and my duties.”

Schmidly also extended his thanks to those who kept UNM running smoothly during his absence and aided in his recovery, including Acting President Paul Roth, the regents, staff, faculty, students and his medical team.

Roth said in an e-mail that he will return to his role as Executive Vice President of the Health Sciences Center, but that it was an honor to fill in for Schmidly.

“Having had the chance to meet with many of the faculty, staff and students on main campus, I am very optimistic about the future of our institution,” he said.

Regent President Raymond Sanchez also issued a University-wide statement welcoming Schmidly back and thanking Roth for his service.

“Dr. Roth’s impact on UNM’s future, relative to the looming fiscal crisis, has been significant and greatly appreciated,” Sanchez said.

Despite missing the entire fall semester and graduation in May 2010, Schmidly welcomes the new semester and the New Year.

“I know that we are happy to put 2010 behind us and welcome in 2011,” he said.

*Make sure to pick up Monday’s Daily Lobo for more on this story. *