Democrats defeat poll ID bill in committee

Democrats halted a bill that would have required New Mexican voters to show photo identification at the polls.

Seven Democrat members on the House Voters and Elections Committee defeated six Republican votes to stall legislation.
“I’m very disappointed,” said Rep. Dianne Hamilton (R-Silver City), the bill’s sponsor.  

Bill opponents said language should be included that would require identification for mail-in ballots.  

Rep. Cathrynn Brown (R-Carlsbad) introduced another bill that would require photo identification at the polls and through absentee ballots. Thursday was the last day to introduce legislation.

“Polls show a large percentage of voters, nearly 70 percent in some polls I’ve seen support this measure,” Brown said. “I’m hoping we can break through party politics and support a measure that a large number of voters want.”

Brown could not cite specific polling firms to back her claim.
Brown’s bill addresses the absentee ballot issue. If her bill passes voters would have to submit a copy of their ID, she said.

Daniel Ivey-Soto, a lobbyist for 33 New Mexico county clerk offices, said the voter ID bill is a divisive issue that makes it harder for comprehensive election reform to take place.

“We’re very bipartisan, but the (voter ID bill) puts us in a tough situation because the issue is polarized,” he said. “It makes us look like we are supporting one party over the other, but we don’t care about parties. We feel election reform should be unanimous.”

During this year’s session, Ivey-Soto said three election reforms bills are a priority for the 33 New Mexico county clerks. One would clean up election codes, another would save money and resources consolidating certain voting precincts and another bill would create an automatic absentee ballot list.

Each bill has support from Democrats and Republicans.
Ivey-Soto investigated voter fraud claims while he was the state’s election director from 2007-08, and he said voter ID proponents are crying wolf by saying this type of legislation will deter voter fraud.  

“Some people say my neighbor or my cousin voted twice, but when you get to specifics those claims all fall apart,” he said. “None of us benefits. Also where is the proof? U.S. District Attorney David Iglesias, a Republican, couldn’t establish there was any voter fraud in New Mexico.”   

Rep. Edward Sandoval (D-Albuquerque) said he did not support the bill because it would treat voters differently.

Hamilton said in 2009 she introduced a voter bill that would require absentee voters to submit identification but Democrats blocked it.

Ivey-Soto said that issue was not partisan but an identity theft matter.

“It had some other flaws,” he said. “A voter was to include a driver’s license number or social security number when they sent their ballot in the mail, and that creates a threat of identity theft.”

Still, Hamilton blamed party politics for the reason why her bill could not make it out of committee.

“They just weren’t going to pass this,” Hamilton said.
Lottery Scholarship closer to extension
The time extension for students to apply for the Lottery Scholarship is one step away from becoming law.

The House of Representatives voted unanimously Wednesday to give high school graduates 16 months to apply for the Lottery Scholarship. House Bill 62, sponsored by Rep. Bill O’Neill (D-Albuquerque), will be voted on by the Senate. If passed, it will go to Gov. Susana Martinez’s desk to be signed into law.

UNM Professor Lloyd Lee organized the event to allow Native American students the opportunity to interact with representatives and foster understanding for how state government works.

“This is the first time we’ve done this,” Lee said. “It’s mostly designed for students to be exposed to the legislature. It will provide awareness, education and experience about the legislative process.”