newheadcoach.jpg

Interim head coach George Barlow addresses the media on Monday during a press conference at University Stadium. Barlow was the defensive coordinator, but has been given the interim spot after Locksley was fired Sunday.

Krebs regrets hiring Locksley

Mike Locksley won’t be coaching the Lobos any longer, but he’s still going to get their money.

Locksley will be paid the rest of his salary for this season, $200,000, and $150,000 for the next two years for a total of $500,000.

Athletics director Paul Krebs said hiring Locksley was a mistake.
“This was not successful, this did not work out,” Krebs said. “If knew then what I know now would I have made a different decision? Yes.”

University President David Schmidly said that it was the right time to fire Locksley.

“We work hard at UNM to integrate Athletics into the fabric of the University, and I believe the decisions made are in the best interest of the University, athletes and the football program,” Schmidly said.

Locksley was fired after his team’s record reached 2-26, including Saturday’s overtime loss to Sam Houston State, for which UNM paid $300,000 to bring the Bearkats to University Stadium.

Krebs said he was contacted by Locksley early Sunday morning about what decision would be made.

“I got a call from coach Locksley Sunday morning asking me what I thought,” he said. Where were we and where were we heading? And at that point I told him I did not see any way it would end on a positive note for him.”

Krebs suggested firing Locksley during a phone call Sunday morning with Schmidly and they both agreed it was the right decision.

“President Schmidly and I talked … and I made the recommendation to him that we fire Locksley and fire him immediately, and he accepted the recommendation,” Krebs said.

Krebs noted that the University was losing money from season tickets and that Locksley’s salary would not be paid off by student fees or taxes from the state, but by money from Athletics.

Between 2003-09 UNM’s average yearly revenue from ticket sales averaged $2.1 million. This year UNM expects to make around $1.3 million.

Krebs said that after last season he and Locksley had a talk and they both said they expected improvement, but Krebs said he hadn’t seen any this year.

“Not only were we not winning, but some of the mistakes, penalties, turnovers and intensity during the game after the first four, I frankly got to a point that there was no change and we weren’t any better,” he said.

Krebs also said that he did not expect Locksley to keep his job at the end of the season, but the change was needed.

“I am not a big fan of making coaching changes during the middle of the season, but I felt it was the appropriate time,” he said.

“I told coach it was only a matter of time, whether a decision was made today or in the future. I thought his tenure at the University would end at the end of the season.”

Former defensive coordinator George Barlow was introduced as the interim head coach for the remaining eight games.

He said that he is prepared to try to take the Lobos to some victories this season.

“It’s been an interesting two days,” Barlow said. “This is a great opportunity and I am excited about it, and I am ready to hit the ground running 100 miles an hour and see if we can win some games.”

Barlow was interim head coach for a game on Oct. 24, 2009, a 34-17 loss against UNLV, when Locksley was suspended for 10 days after a physical altercation with J.B. Gerald, the former wide receivers coach.

“It’s my intention to go out and win games and represent this football team, the state of New Mexico and UNM in the most positive manner that I can in the next 10 weeks and eight football games,” Barlow said.

Schmidly thanked fans for their support.

“I want to thank and challenge the wonderful Lobo fans … I want to thank you for your patience, and I want to challenge you to join and support us now,” he said. “We need you now more than ever.”