9325_20120104_1882f.jpg

University of New Mexico Regents President Jack Fortner stands alongside with newly elected UNM President Robert Frank during a press conference in Scholes Hall today.

Board of Regents selects Robert Frank as new president of UNM

The University of New Mexico Board of Regents unanimously selected Robert G. Frank to replace David Schmidly as the next President of UNM. In a press conference Wednesday morning, the regents announced they selected Frank following a week of public meetings with the candidates, and UNM faculty and staff.

Frank, who graduated from Mayfield High School in Las Cruces and received three degrees from UNM including a Ph.D in clinical psychology, said he is glad to return home to his alma mater.

“To have the opportunity to return to this University is a very satisfying moment and I want to thank the regents and the faculty and staff for their vote of confidence,” he said. “I look forward to the opportunities and challenges of New Mexico’s landscape. This is not a homogeneous place as you all know, this is an opportunity to see the new America, and I look forward to shaping that and showing the rest of the nation what we can do as a diverse University.”

Frank said he will receive an annual salary of $355,000 and benefits including health insurance, and residence at UNM’s University House on campus. Schmidly currently makes $587,000 a year plus benefits.

UNM Regent Don Chalmers said Frank was selected for his outstanding leadership skills, and strong ties to New Mexico.

“As regents, picking the president may be the most important thing we do,” he said. “When it all comes down to it, his experience has to do with dealing with issues, and we don’t know what the issues will be in the next five years, but I think the strength of his character can carry us through those times. I like the fact that he is coming home. We may have picked a president that will be here not just for the next five years… but may serve this University for even longer.”

Frank has been the provost and senior vice-president for academic affairs at Kent State University since 2007. According to his résumé, Frank increased student retention rates by more than 6 percent, streamlined promotion and tenure rules and improved tracking of students to ensure graduation.

As President Frank said his primary goal is to maintain the wide variety of educational opportunities that exist at UNM, and improve them.

“The breadth and depth of programs here are stunning. I am committed to leading the University in a collaborative and thoughtful manner to realize its full potential,” he said.