Protesters to blame for clash at Israel lecture

Since being chartered in 2007, the UNM Israel Alliance has hosted a number of controversial lecturers; these include Israeli-Arab journalist Khaled Abu Toameh in 2008 and members of the Israel Defense Forces in 2009 and 2010.

Many on campus were very unhappy with these speakers. Yet they did not disrupt the talks. They did indeed take lengthy and sharp issue with the speakers during the Q&A. Charged, but civil, dialogue prevailed.

Such was not the case the evening of Feb. 23, when author Nonie Darwish spoke at UNM on “Why the Arab Spring is Failing.”

It started well. The opposition was there, unmolested, giving out their fliers at the door. However, a half hour into the talk, a large group in the back began screaming insults. It was persistent, loud and frightening — especially to elderly, infirm and oxygen-using attendees. When asked, they would not desist.

After five to 10 minutes they left the auditorium.

Thankfully, Ms. Darwish’s free speech was not denied. Nor was it denied to the audience. For an hour there was an open microphone where attendees, one by one, voiced their support and displeasure. Some made extended and strongly voiced statements against Ms. Darwish and the state of Israel. All questions, even the most hostile, were treated respectfully by Ms. Darwish.

The disrupters wanted none of this. They sought to shut up Ms. Darwish and ruin this event.

After the lecture Ms. Darwish, a convert to Christianity, and a young lady in a hijab had a long discussion. The gulf between their views may be enormous, yet civil discourse is possible between people of good will.

Donald Gluck
President of UNM Israel Alliance