Show me how to: Rock climb

As the weather warms, outdoor activities become more popular among students, and rock climbing is one way for students to get outdoors and face a physical challenge.

Although there are many different types of rock climbing, outdoor rock climbing and bouldering are the most popular.

Because safety is the main concern, rock climbing should be done in groups with the appropriate gear and after proper physical preparation. Regardless of experience level, it is always best to bring a licensed guide along.

General rock climbing gear

The proper, correctly fitted climbing gear is imperative for one’s rock climbing experience. Climbing shoes are a must. Climbing shoes are intended to fit tightly around one’s foot. The sole of the shoes is made of a sticky rubber, allowing the climber to have friction.

Wearing a helmet whenever climbing is advisable. These helmets are normally made of plastic and are designed to protect the head of the climber from falling rocks or slips.

For liability reasons, rock climbing rental shops typically don’t allow rock climbers to rent gear unless they are going on a guided tour with professionals.

Outdoor rock climbing gear

Ropes are an obvious requirement when climbing. Certain ropes can hold up to 4,000 pounds.

Harnesses are the link between the climber and the rock wall. The most common type of harness is the leg-loop style.

Carabeiners are used for just about everything when it comes to climbing. They are used as anchors for climbers, and hooks for belayers. Belayers stand on the ground and are connected to the climber with ropes. The belayer counterbalances the weight of the climber to prevent the climber from falling.

Bouldering gear

The objective of rock climbing is to reach the top of the wall and then belay down. The objective of bouldering is to make one’s way over a single rock and come down on the opposite side. Bouldering requires much of the same equipment, with a few exceptions.

When bouldering, a harness is not necessary. The climber normally does not get more than five feet off the ground.

Bouldering requires a crash pad, which the boulderer lays on the ground below them in case of a fall.

Gear for bouldering can be rented without a guide from the UNM Outdoor & Bike Shop for $15 a day.

Step One – Be prepared

Rock climbing requires practice. It is best to practice on an indoor climbing wall before attempting to climb outdoors. Although outdoor rock climbing is significantly different than indoor rock climbing because indoor climbing is in a controlled environment, it is the best preparation for any rock climbing endeavor.

Step Two – Find a guide

A guide will make sure the area is safe and set up a designated course. Guides also double-check equipment to make sure everything functions properly.

Step Three – Find a place to climb

Indoor

Stone Age Climbing Gym
Day Pass and rental gear $18.90

Outdoor

Students can coordinate a guided tour through one of the following climbing companies in the Albuquerque area:

Beverly Mountain Guides
Suntoucher Mountain Guides
Stone Age Climbing Gym

Prices are $50 and up depending on the number of climbers, difficulty of the topography and the amount of time spent climbing.