Margarita Ortega y Gomez

The Setonian
News

Opening the door to career success

Know the market, and they will come. By networking with businesses that have job openings, UNM psychology student Jacqueline Zamora and Cynthia Martinez Howard have become partners in running El Portal, an employment service agency created to serve people with learning, mental and physical disabilities.

The Setonian
Culture

A message beyond the notes

Iraqi musician and composer Rahim AlHaj said no matter what the situation, music is an essential component of life. On Saturday, locals will have an opportunity to hear the essence of AlHaj's music played with a string quartet. AlHaj, a self-taught oud player, began playing when he was 9 years-old.

The Setonian
News

Lecture tour decries Juarez murders

Five international caravans are traveling through 56 cities to raise tri-national awareness and support for disappeared and murdered women. Mexican and American speakers and human rights advocates will visit the United States, Canada and Mexico and will be at the UNM law school today at noon.

The Setonian
Culture

'Dracula' play draws blood for laughs

It will be a bloodsucking good time this weekend at the Vortex Theatre, when sketch comedy and blood donation meet in "Bram Stoker's Dracula Goes To College," a late night horror-comedy extravaganza. In this production, seriousness goes out the door and is replaced with a good laugh and two-for-one tickets if you donate blood to United Blood Services.

The Setonian
Culture

Musician shares publicity tips

Longtime supporter of the arts and experienced jazz performer Tom Guralnick knows what it's like for fresh performers to create press for themselves on small budgets. Guralnick, founder and executive director of the Outpost Performance Space, has created a workshop to give do-it-yourself publicity information to local musicians, dancers and artists.

The Setonian
Culture

Performance focuses on Christian impact

by Margarita Ortega y Gomez Daily Lobo On Monday, women of color read poetry and told stories about the impact that Christianity has had on their lives in a performance called "A Little Talk With Jesus." Housed in the Omniroots' Outch Yonda performance space, the production showcased voices well known to the community like Colleen Gorman, Juba Clayton, Virginia Hampton and Mary Oishi.

The Setonian
Culture

Actress wants sequal to be better

Most of this summer's blockbuster films generally either follow the theme of old comics or are sequels to another hit film like "Laura Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life" starring Angelina Jolie. Similarly, in the summer of 2001, the video game turned summer action movie "Tomb Raider" hit theaters in an attempt to bring Lara Croft, one of the sexiest and most hard-core computer-generated video game characters, to life.

The Setonian
Culture

Women studies class sparks new exhibit

A perfect way to calm down during finals is to attend the innagural Women of Color- Mixed Race Women Art Exhibit, annual event, Friday from 3-5 p.m. The exhibit will be a celebration for the students of the U.S. Women of Color class and the amazing and intense artwork and poetry that was produced throughout the semester.

The Setonian
Culture

Passionate DiFranco revisits Paolo Soleri

Ani DiFranco loves New Mexico and in a surprisingly intimate concert performed songs that are 10 years old in addition to her current repertoire with the same intensity at age 30 as she did at 18. On Saturday evening, "Miz DiFranco" played the Paolo Soleri in Santa Fe under a clear and starry spring sky.

More articles »