Weaks drops interim tag from business, finance job

-Staff Report

UNM President Bill Gordon announced today he has named Julie C. Weaks to serve as vice president for Business and Finance effective immediately.

Weaks, who was selected following a national search process, has held the position on an interim basis since February 1999.

“I am extremely pleased that Julie Weaks has consented to serve as our vice president for Business and Finance,” Gordon said in a news release. “She has done an exceptional job as the interim vice president, and the support she received from the campus community during the interview process was overwhelming. We are fortunate to have someone of Julie’s stature and experience in this critical leadership role.”

Weaks said in a news release that she is delighted to accept the position.

“The University of New Mexico means a great deal to me, and the opportunity to serve the University as its vice president for Business and Finance on a permanent basis is a real honor,” she said.

As the chief financial officer for the University, the vice president for Business and Finance provides leadership and direction to the institution’s business and support functions and is a member of the president’s Executive Cabinet.

The vice president supervises the Budget Office, Business Policies, Controller’s Office, payroll, general accounting, contracts and grants, cashiers, Endowment Management, Facility Planning, Human Resources, Physical Plant, Real Estate, Risk Management, Athletic Department and Auxiliary Enterprises. The vice president’s role is to insure that business transactions and support services meet the University’s short- and long-term goals and objectives.

Before becoming interim vice president, Weaks was UNM’s budget director from September 1993 to February 1999. From 1987-93, she was budget director and special assistant to the director of the UNM Medical Center. From 1984-86, she served as administrative officer at the UNM Medical Center. From 1976-84, she was manager of the UNM School of Medicine’s medical department.

Before coming to UNM, Weaks was office manager for the Albuquerque Orthopedic Associates, P.A.

Weaks has an extensive record of University and community service. She is a board member of the UNM Science and Technology Corporation, a corporation responsible for the commercialization and licensing of the University’s intellectual property. She is a board member of Lobo Energy, Inc., a corporation responsible for the procurement of the University’s utilities and for renewal of UNM’s utility infrastructure.

As vice president, she also serves as treasurer for the UNM Foundation, Inc., and has served on the Foundation’s Audit and Finance Committee since 1993.

Additionally, Weaks was on the UNM Strategic Planning Committee last year; the Steering Committee for the North Central Association Accreditation’s 1999 site visit; the UNM Planning Council and its Tuition and Enrollment Subcommittee and Budget Subcommittee since 1993; the UNM Planning Council since 1993; the Electronic Management Information Systems Steering Committee since 1997; the State of New Mexico Four-Year Business Officers’ Funding Task Force since 1993; and the UNMPact Steering Committee among others.

Weaks earned her bachelor’s degree with honors in 1973 and her executive master’s in business administration degree in 1993, both from UNM. She also attended Texas Tech University from 1969-71. Weaks is a lifelong New Mexico resident and has two children — Jason, 22, and Mariya, 16.